Mandalorians!

If your thread needs an OOC thread as well, put it here.

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Mand'alor

Mandalorians!

Post by Cadden »

Anyone wanting to RP a Mandalorian, but don't know where to start... now's your chance! The Mandos are on the brink of total war against the Empire... and are about to make their first move against them on Yag'Dhul. If you'd like to participate in any way you see fitting for your character, head over to either our main thread (not hard to find :P), or a thread that's marked with a [RW] title. If you want to join with the guys on Midpoint Station, I will repeat my request there to get a hold of me first.

If you have any questions about the Exodus Mandos, you can ask them here, or directly to me via PM. In the next several... months :P... I'll be (eventually) getting to updating the Wikia, but a Q&A will definitely help speed that along a bit, so don't be shy.

If you have questions specific to the Rimma War, there are only so many I'm at liberty to answer, so please understand that beforehand. I'm sure you can figure out which ones I will and will not answer.

So... that being said... consider this the official recruitment thread for the Mandos. This is, again, a perfect time to sign up, not only because of the Rimma War and, as such, stuff to do there (in theory, provided kashus ever comes back from wherever he disappeared to :P... unless another Imperial will take his place, or just give us the go-ahead to do what needs to be done, up to you guys), but also because the Mandos will be getting pretty active in the current and coming board events, as well as separate Mando-specific stuff.

We hope to see you on the battlefield. ;)
You have a right to remain silent... I hope to God you use it.
Xanamiar wrote:Cadden is a comical genius.
The one and only Stoban

Re: Mandalorians!

Post by VagueDurin »

I've still got Jorso'ran Tracinya all wiki'd up and never RPed... Maybe I'll get with you offline and see if theres something out there for him to get involved in...
Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox »

Oh great, now there are going to be more of us!

*grumbles*

Here are thought it was just two men aiming at the destruction of the boards. Our egos are big enough to do it Cadden why are you recruiting!!!

*cough*

In all seriousness though we (mainly Cadden I just provide the ideas he drinks the coffee) have a very awesome storyline lined up. It should be a very awesome storyline. If Cadden isn't around on MSN hit me up, I can't answer nearly as many questions as he can but I will do my best to provide some semblence of an answer for you.
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

Shh! Vox! You're going to give away our devious plans! *Thwack*

Vague... Garen has made the official call for the Mandos to rally up and strike at the Empire. Chances are, if your character is war-capable, he'll be accompanying them. At the present time, he'd be on Midpoint, preparing with the rest of the Mando forces in attacking Yag'Dhul.

I have direct permission from Top himself to play his characters as necessary, as I have a good enough handle on them to not mess them up(to note: I made the previous posts about Garen without consulting Top about how he would respond in those situations, and he gave me the thumbs up for the job I did), so until he can get back on I'm basically the Mando dude around. ;)

I'll still try to talk to him as it is necessary, but for the most part it's my show 'till he returns. But everyone that has a moderate investment in the Mandos (all three of us, unless you count Halo's approved off-faction from Kuar) have a mutual understanding on the whole schebang. And when I say moderate investment, I'm talking about having collaborated with large-scale storylines, Vox. Not two characters. :P

Anyway... yeah... my bet is that he's probably going to be participating in the fights, Vague. Looking at his profile again, I remember he was training to be a supercommando under Nedth Dinsan (which reminds me, I need to update his article....), and I'd be willing to bet that, even if he isn't considered one yet (I'm not sure when you had him start... if it was Nedth specifically that would have been training him, it wouldn't have been for longer than a year, depending on if we're officially 18 ABY or not), he's a fully qualified warrior, and that means one of two things. He would have been held back to bolster home front defenses, or he would have gone with the assault forces to either maintain control over Midpoint or attack the Rimma worlds they've targeted. It's your choice which of the three it would be, but I have to warn you... there's only two or three specific characters that are staying on Mandalore, and one of them is meant to be a behind-the-scenes character only. ;)
Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox »

Between us Cadden we have...about 17 Mandalorians. You have 15 I have 2. So I think its just more then two! That reminds me...I do actually have more Mandalorians to RP...I just don't (See Team Shadowsaber). That's an interesting predicament. Anyways. Post already! Don't make me make another post! It looks bad on recruiting when your peon is posting more then you!
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

Meh? No it doesn't. It proves the point that we need more people to post. ;)
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

I dunno, I never really got into the allure of Mandalorians. I've always been more drawn to Jedi (for obvious reasons) and to the Han Solo type characters, although the Padme Amidala and Leia type characters are pretty interesting also.
"Ol' Doc doesn't hide, he hibernates." -- Doc, Star Wars: The Old Republic

"What do you call it when you kill someone and take all their stuff?"
"Adventuring!" -- Tallis and Hawke, Dragon Age 2.
I beat up Batman

Post by kashus_Draith »

I'm here. I've only scanned through the post above so if I missed anything "important", let me know. I will get a post up soon.

Sorry for the disappearing act, I'll do my best to keep my post constant.

Also, I will need some time to read up on my notes and postssssss, as I am WAYYYY behind in reading. :?
Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox »

Its cool Kashus. Cadden and I have been advancing the story along. Well...I have been he just makes appearances to make the story look cool. ;)
I beat up Batman

Post by kashus_Draith »

I am in the works to introduce my main character to the story and lay down the ground works for the space battle. ETA for postage is still N/A. ;)
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

'Xactly, Vox, 'cause it ain't cool until I post. ;)
Gonzo Bodhisattva

Post by xfiend1013 »

Eheyhey Cadden and Vox, if the Midpoint Station thread is going to be merely a backdrop kind of thing, let me know, I'd like to get that mandalorian character into a more active thread if the opportunity presents itself.

The idea being that Bren is not quite the standard Mando badass, more of a surprising character in charge of tricky "subtle" missions, that don't require exploding death stars and riding wreckage down from orbit.

Though, if he has to do those sorts of things, he is a mandalorian warrior. Rather than striving for supercommando status, I think he'd be the kind of front-lines guy who wound up getting it regardless.
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

Yes, and no. I've been holding off on Midpoint for a couple reasons.

1) You didn't edit your post as per the corrections I PMed you. (Minor one, but whatever.) :P

2) The Mandos are attacking Yag'Dhul from Midpoint. I'm trying to decide if I should just have them up and leave the station now, or wait for things to completely develop on that side of things first.

It will be a backdrop, but only in a minor sense. It will still be an active thread and all, because I want Midpoint to become a more important place than something that's just "there." (It being my creation, and considering I've regained it, and all.) However, it also needs to be a backdrop because of the very purpose of the Mando mission to Midpoint being a more support mission for the Rimma War (and, possibly, future events).
DX Army Cadet

Post by Mandalore_The_Uniter »

Cadden did you get my PM about my Mandalorian Commando character idea/Revamp?
I beat up Batman

Post by kashus_Draith »

Post is up. Any objection in the way I convey some of the information about the Mandalorians push for Yag'Dhul in the post?
"Into the flames"

Post by Coal »

I know I've made it a habit of asking to join threads and never posting in them, but I've got a Mando char idea that I might actually write about. Can I join?
Ignorance is its own death sentence.

Reality overrides theory. And intelligence.

The universe is vast, infinite, and full of wonders and miracles to prove just how stupid and unimaginative we really are.
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

Mandalore:

I read it, and thought about it.

The simple response I can give is, "No."

The complex response I can give is:

Both in canon and in the MBT, Jedi-Mandos are rare. To-date, in the MBT, there are only three Jedi-Mados. Cadden, Guan, and Freedom. There are thousands of counted Mandalorians in the Protectors' ranks.

In my eyes, someone who wants to RP a Jedi-Mando for the sake of RPing a Jedi-Mando, is looking for an excuse to take a "slice of the pie," if you will, and get the easy way into a simple story. Vox was allowed it because he's looking at complex stories. If I need to mention why I did it, then obviously you haven't been reading the Mando stuff in the detail you claim.

This story is driven by the story, though... not by people asking to be Mando-Jedi. The Mandalorian Protectors, as they are set up, are very spiteful toward Jedi, and most Force-users in general. A majority of them still remember Galidraan (whether personally or through being told of it), and many of them have not forgiven the Jedi Order for what they did to them there. Even Garen Starfall, the current Mandalore, sees most Jedi as presumptuous cowards, and views only a half-dozen, at the most, with respect.

In that regards, there is no real story-driven reason for there to be another Jedi-Mando. Such a character, if already in the Protectors' ranks, would be viewed with disrespect, and such a character, if having been a Jedi first and joining the Protectors' ranks later, that wouldn't happen. There is no open invitation. Daer'Gunn views himself as a Mandalorian by association, but the Protectors themselves do not recognize him as one (not even Garen does).

So, I'm denying your request.
DX Army Cadet

Cadden wrote:Mandalore:

I read it, and thought about it.

The simple response I can give is, "No."

The complex response I can give is:

Both in canon and in the MBT, Jedi-Mandos are rare. To-date, in the MBT, there are only three Jedi-Mados. Cadden, Guan, and Freedom. There are thousands of counted Mandalorians in the Protectors' ranks.

In my eyes, someone who wants to RP a Jedi-Mando for the sake of RPing a Jedi-Mando, is looking for an excuse to take a "slice of the pie," if you will, and get the easy way into a simple story. Vox was allowed it because he's looking at complex stories. If I need to mention why I did it, then obviously you haven't been reading the Mando stuff in the detail you claim.

This story is driven by the story, though... not by people asking to be Mando-Jedi. The Mandalorian Protectors, as they are set up, are very spiteful toward Jedi, and most Force-users in general. A majority of them still remember Galidraan (whether personally or through being told of it), and many of them have not forgiven the Jedi Order for what they did to them there. Even Garen Starfall, the current Mandalore, sees most Jedi as presumptuous cowards, and views only a half-dozen, at the most, with respect.

In that regards, there is no real story-driven reason for there to be another Jedi-Mando. Such a character, if already in the Protectors' ranks, would be viewed with disrespect, and such a character, if having been a Jedi first and joining the Protectors' ranks later, that wouldn't happen. There is no open invitation. Daer'Gunn views himself as a Mandalorian by association, but the Protectors themselves do not recognize him as one (not even Garen does).

So, I'm denying your request.

Makes sense... Can i still do a CQC Oriented Supercommando? i got plans for him... and they start with this war...
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

So long as your plans do not (at the very least) run the risk of conflicting with the story flow of the Mandalorians themselves, there's no reason not to. Though I would prefer he not start out as a supercommando, but as a shock trooper, maybe accepted for training as a supercommando. The reason for this is both OOC and IC... Top and I want people who are going to commit themselves to the Protectors to know the Protectors themselves.

Such characters were not unheard of. To my knowledge, in canon, all Mandos were trained for close quarters combat, as well as ranged, though their ferocity comes from ranged combat (as it was far more destructive and tends to get the job done quicker, which accredits to their traits in the wars they participated in).

I've got characters who can do both (though of the few, only one excells in both), and I have a character that prefers bladed weaponry over ranged weaponry. All Mandos are trained to both shoot and fight in close quarters, but, as per how they were trained in the MBT divergence, once their initial training is completed they are free to explore what they wish.

Though even in canon, there have been Mandos that leaned toward melee combat, from what I can understand. So, if that's how you want to swing it, by all means, go that route. I have no qualms about a Mando character who prefers close quarters combat over ranged.
DX Army Cadet

Shock trooper works, How are they equiped, Armor wise...

I read in the Wikia that they don't get full armor...i think...
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

Yeah, Wikia's kind of outdated in that regards. When Garen took over, he changed stuff around a little bit. They were also already in the process of doing away with the initial shock trooper program, after they had filled their "initial quota" that they set out for with the program itself.

So as it used to be that the character had to "qualify" themselves to wear the armor, since the Mandalorian economy has bolstered over the years (due to the wars they've participated in, and the spoils they've claimed from them, as well as their services out to their affiliates and all), that requirement was done away with.

However, very few (if even that many) characters would have armor made from Mandalorian iron. The only known character to have such armor (and Top might disagree with me whenever he returns) is Kyr Aden, and that's because it's the Spectre Armor that he was given (being their leader and all). Otherwise, what little Mandalorian iron they have has gone into ship armors and whatnot, as well as a couple of "spoils" here and there to qualified individuals... typically the Mandalore... and used only sparingly.

Even Kyr's regular armor isn't from Mandalorian iron. Nor was Cadden's, nor was Garen's, I believe.

Your character would have to have constructed his own set of armor, but he has the means to do so if you wish it. I'd suggest that be the case, however, because as I said, their economy has bolstered quite a bit since Cadden came to their world. (Evidenced by a far more efficient training regimen, the ability to take on the Empire, having gone toe to toe with the Xen'Chi, etc.)

When things clear up a bit on my end, I'll be dedicating some time to updating the relevant Mandalorian articles to reflect this change. However, since Top's RPing the current Mandalore, I'll have to consult with him on the logistics of what's been happening in that regards. All I know is that, as Garen was following in Cadden's footsteps, he continued to execute the plans Cadden had, which included the complete restructuring of their training programme, now that they have a sizable army to work with.
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

Cadden wrote:In my eyes, someone who wants to RP a Jedi-Mando for the sake of RPing a Jedi-Mando, is looking for an excuse to take a "slice of the pie," if you will, and get the easy way into a simple story.
I've always thought of Jedi-Mandalorians as something akin to taking your two favorite heroes and combining them together. You know, like we used to do when we were kids. :P

Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

Yeah, but if you look at the Mandalorians themselves, you'll see how contradictive that is. There's been a couple notable incidents where a Jedi became a Mandalorian... there was never a mix-match with the two characteristics. Most of the time, the Jedi turns full Mando, forsakes his/her past. I can only think of one character, whose name escapes me, and Wook (at least for me) is being slow on the matter.

In Exodus, we've been following the same guidelines with that. Freedom doesn't consider himself a Jedi, of sorts... he can explain it better than I can with his char (for obvious reasons). Cadden Blackthorne had to choose between Jedi or Mandalorian, and often made the choice back and forth, before finally realizing he couldn't do both... which was why he was planning on passing the plate on to Garen. Guan isn't a Mandalorian in the traditional sense... he's just adapted their training into his Jedi training, but he's still considered more of a "Jedi dignitary" to the Mandalorians, rather than a full-fledged Mandalorian.

Might it change? Mebbe, mebbe not. What I do know is that, at least for the time being, neither Top nor I wish to have these kinds of characters running around in such a capacity. If we allow it to one, we have to allow it to others. If we allow it to others, it becomes a commonplace kind of thing... and then there's no point anymore. I do realize that we've allowed it to Vox, but for that, you'll just have to trust our judgement. I'm sure Top would agree with me that we don't want to see the Protectors become an army of Mando-Jedi, and I can easily see it turning into that if we were to freely allow it.
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

I never said you should allow it, I was just saying that's what it reminds me of. Who wouldn't want to see an Obi-Boba Fett? Anyway, the reverse of Jedi to Mando wouldn't really work, I think. The Jedi Code forbids pretty much everything that Mandalorians stand for so in order to accept one into the Academy he/she would pretty much have to forsake everything that makes them Mando.

Edit:

Actually, come to think of it that's how it would have to work both ways, isn't it? In order to embrace the Mandalorian way one would have to forsake their Jedi training. Which I think would be easier for a Jedi what with the dark side being so appealing and all.

Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

Cadden wrote:Most of the time, the Jedi turns full Mando, forsakes his/her past.
Isn't that basically what I said? :P

I can't think of a single example of a Mando going Jedi... and only one of a Jedi going Mando, and that fomer-Jedi forsake all his training to become a Mando. (Stopped using his lightsaber, stopped using the Force, the whole schebang.) Bardan Jusik went from Jedi to full Mando, and shunned everything that the Jedi stood for. Because he was fully integrated into the Mando culture, when it was discovered he was previously a Jedi (and retained at least some of his powers), the revelation was ignored due to the Mandalorians' trust in him. Venku Skirata was Force-sensitive, but born into Mando culture. He was aware of his sensitivity, but chose not to use it if at all possible.

As far as I know, there are no accounts of Force-sensitive Mandos going to the Jedi Order. There was, however, an experiment by a certain Mandalorian that was to make Force-sensitive Mandos for his own purposes... an experiment that was ultimately deemed a failure, and the Mandalorian later noted by Kal Skirata himself to be "a dirtbag geneticist."

All in all, with the exception of a few rare scenarios... being Mando and being a Force-sensitive just doesn't mix well.

Especially the way the Mandos on Exodus are set up, and will continue to develop as. :P
Gonzo Bodhisattva

Post by xfiend1013 »

Hey Cadden, rather than go back and edit the stuff you PMd me about I just retconned it in my next post.
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

Looks fine. Got a post up. For the most part, I'll be RPing Teron himself, and I'll provide some additional roles on an as-needed basis, including Mandalorians if necessary. I've never made a distinct decision, outside the Brigade themselves and named characters already made evident, who was going off to fight the Empire and who was staying. (Except for Nedth, he isn't there. :P) So, if you need/want any additional support for RPing Mandos there, lemme know.

Vox, I'll have a post up for us sometime this week, maybe today or tomorrow, not sure yet.
Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox »

Alright, I shall be waiting!
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

Alright... so... "sometime this week" has come and gone...

But Vox knows what I've been going through that keeps my posting at a minimum, so I know he's easy to forgive (like I'm asking ;)).

Regardless... I took a major, and vital, test today at my base, and I passed, so a lot of pressure is off now. It will unlikely happen today, but I will definitely be getting some regular posts out more often now.
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

The Rimma War is over. See the Mandalorian Protectors thread for details, I'm not repeating it here.

The Mandalorians unearthed beskar ore. They're willing to sell some of it for a healthy sum of credits. This is a limited duration offer, enough for them to recover from the Rimma War itself. Anyone who wants it needs to go through the proper means of getting it... RPing for it. I reserve the right to refuse it to whoever I want. :)

I'm doing this because I don't want to suddenly see everyone saying, "Hey, look at my new toy made from beskar!" That just ain't cool, and not right. So... if you want it, post your guy(s) asking for it. Also, do your research before you go about buying the stuff. It's going to be expensive, and chances are your char(s) won't know what to do with it, which will thus require a qualified Mandalorian to work it for you.

Yep, a qualified Mandalorian. Medrit Vasur in canon was a qualified Mando. Boba Fett, or a more random and traditional example such as Rav Bralor (as far as I can tell), were not.

So... recap... there's now Mando iron ore available. If you want some, you have to convince me (and me alone) for it, and through IC channels only. :) This is also for a limited time. (How long? "Until the Mandalorians have, economically, recovered from the Rimma War.") So, if you don't get any during this window... tough cookies.

You can conduct such business in the main Mando thread.

Current Mando members will also be given free consideration to equipment "upgrades" to beskar, so long as said character is a Protector. But please don't rush it... that just looks sloppy. Remember, we're recovering from a war from the Empire that cost the Protectors a lot (both economically and via manpower). I can expect that this is going to be a "phasing in" kind of thing for this whole process. Once the dust settles (in more ways than one) we can look at this in a bit more of a faster manner.
Gonzo Bodhisattva

Post by xfiend1013 »

Hrm, I still have that Mando guy I haven't RPed in like a year. What was the name of that thread?
Like what I write? I can fix that. Visit my website.

FOLLOW ME! (On twitter)
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

You talking about that Midpoint Station dude?

Yeah, that was Hostile Takeover (or whatever the full title might have been).
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

Mandos are up for hire! The Protectors are not, but individual Mandos are! If you wanna hire a Mando merc, feel free to do so! I'm probably gonna have a few hit up on some of the posted bounties, however, 'cause I can.

Also, a majority of my last post owes a special thanks to Karen Traviss. May her work with Lucas Licensing rest in peace....

Hmm... what else? Oh, yeah. Mandos are also always recruiting. If you wanna be a badass wearing the best armor in the galaxy, join the Mandos. :P
Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox »

Wha? We're for hire!!!!! Damn...wish I'd have known sooner...I needed the money months ago.
Enemy of the Republic

Post by WedaScami »

I'll create a Mando character! How do I start!?
"Greatness is not measured by how well you speak of yourself, but how well others speak of you."
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

You make a Wikia article and go to town? ;)

But seriously, it also depends on how much knowledge you have on Mandos. And I don't mean Clone Wars era Mandos. Those are a bunch of wannabes and overall a joke. I'm talking Karen Traviss's Mandos. The awesome ones.

That said... depending on your level of knowledge will put you in a "suggested level" for your character. Be it a run-of-the-mill Mandalorian, or a supercommando.

Otherwise... yeah... you make the article and go to town. :D
Enemy of the Republic

Post by WedaScami »

I'll have to do some research before I dive in, obviously. Have any suggested reading material for me to start on? I'm probably around the "run-of-the-mill" level right now. :o
"Greatness is not measured by how well you speak of yourself, but how well others speak of you."
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

Heh, "run of the mill" isn't bad. :)

Good reading material. Hmm. Anything Karen Traviss wrote in Star Wars. *Nods*

Bloodlines, Sacrifice, and I believe Revelation, all have good post-OT Mando info, and very close parallels as to how Exodus Mandos are. The majority of my last post was born from direct-impact inspiration found in Sacrifice, as I noted earlier.

Otherwise, if you'd rather limit your reading, read up on the Mandalorian Protectors thread from start to finish, and the Rimma War threads. That'll give you a generic idea. Then supplement it with Wook. After that, you ought to be fine.

Either way, if you gotta do research, even after doing so, my recommendation is to start with a non-supercommando and work your way to becoming one. Mostly so you get a good idea as to how to RP an Exodus Mando properly. :D

And I'm always available to help out on an individual basis if need be. Vox, too... he's got enough know-how to get it right. ;) I'd suggest Top, as well, but he's pretty much as good as gone, it would seem.
Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox »

Ya, I'm around. Send me a PM. I'll be on and off here quite a bit. I'm working on the story of Freedom and Kera (read Truest of Bonds]) for info on that. Plus their wiki's.

Mando's are a fun write. They really have...more freedom involved in their writing than most 'stuck' characters. By that I mean Jedi/Sith/Fleet Commanders, etc. are all stuck in a certain groove and genre. Mando's definitely aren't.
Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox »

Just a quick note. If you're not sure what you can bring to the table when it comes to writing Mando's or maybe you're just not sure that it would be for you. Remember, these are rather...free-spirited people. They don't all have to be fighters. Now, nearly all of them are but in their downtime they are farmers, blacksmiths, shop owners and the like. Don't forget that.