Official Seeking of Permission

If your thread needs an OOC thread as well, put it here.

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Cadden
Mand'alor

Official Seeking of Permission

Post by Cadden » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:57 pm

Alrighty... so I want to ask permission from the good folks of SW:E to stake an official claim on the character of... Darth Nox! (Otherwise known as the Inquisitor in SWTOR.)

I know that this could cause a bit of a stink from at least a couple of people... and that this is a bit of an odd thing for someone to randomly request, since in a grander scheme of things the character is, technically, fairly minor to Star Wars lore. Buuuuuuut... all the same, even though it isn't a rule (that I could tell), it's most definitely a courtesy to be asking before doing this stuff.

So... there you have it. I want to canonize (for us, anyway) the identity of the story-centered, canon, whatever you want to call it, Sith Inquisitor character from SWTOR as a character of mine. Also, as a side note, I'll be making this character a part of SW:E canon, regardless of the answer, but if the community doesn't want it I will not be pushing "my way" with it. I'm only stating this to clear up any doubts when you guys see the character popping up, regardless of the outcome here. I have a workaround, but would prefer this way.

Thanks!
You have a right to remain silent... I hope to God you use it.
Xanamiar wrote:Cadden is a comical genius.

Balsa
Balsa is not a lie!

Re: Official Seeking of Permission

Post by Balsa » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:18 pm

Why?

I know you like to keep things close and secret, but can you provide any overview/comments on why you want to claim him?

Cadden
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:07 am

It's actually not as secretive as one might think. The character would, basically, be my SWTOR Sith Inquisitor character... a Pureblood, to be exact. He was originally never actually intended to cross into our lore, but since I decided to toy with the idea, and it grew. Normally, it'd be a "Yeah, whatever," kind of deal, but, in this particular case...

As you may or may not know (it's not much a secret now, so hopefully they won't be mad at me for saying this), Beorht and Adam have done a "Sith experiment" involving Sirena and others... and through genetic engineering they brought back the Purebloods. By extension, I wanted to have my Inquisitor Pureblood be among those brought back (though likely through different means, but that's not set yet until we talk more). I wanted to canonize him (for us) as Darth Nox for the value of significance in the SWTOR Inquisitor storyline. In addition to the ambiguity of the character itself.

And to bring to the finalized answer to "Why?" Because I wanted to pursue a character who, under these circumstances, was not just someone who "came out of the woodworks" with no real background to speak of and build him from there. For this purpose, I wanted someone of a bit more significance behind him. Again, there's really nothing secretive about it. It boils down to the fact that, I like playing my Pureblood Sorceror (who, in my SWTOR story, becomes Darth Nox), and I decided I wanted to incorporate him into SW:E. Basically, I'd like to link the two as one in the same as a means of using the SWTOR Inquisitor's story to supplement/compliment what Beorht and Adam are working on.

If it seems rather superfluous, I can make better attempt on my reasoning for choosing Nox specifically, and not just "making do" with an offshoot story... but hopefully that suffices?

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:15 am

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I mean I've already linked several of my SW:E characters to my TOR characters but I've never come out and actually said oh this TOR class story is actually mine. I'm not going to say no to it, though, unless the community disagrees to the idea, but I am concerned about other people doing similar things. I'd hate to see people starting a land grab for their favorite class stories start up over this, partly because I've used parts of the Jedi Knight story and the Imperial Agent story as history for my writing here and partly because I'm sure I'm not the only one. I kind of prefer to keep the characters vague so we can all use bits and pieces of their story if we need them and put our own little spin on it but with this if someone wants to write something concerning the history of the Sith Inquisitor they have to talk to you to find out which decisions you've made at certain parts in the story and those decisions may not be the ones they would have made in game. The point of these class stories is so that they can become your own little piece of Star Wars canon, but that ceases to be true if people start grabbing them up and saying oh this was me--if that makes any sense.
"Ol' Doc doesn't hide, he hibernates." -- Doc, Star Wars: The Old Republic

"What do you call it when you kill someone and take all their stuff?"
"Adventuring!" -- Tallis and Hawke, Dragon Age 2.

Balsa
Balsa is not a lie!

Post by Balsa » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:00 am

Are those class stories canon? It seems to me that in order for them to be canon, you'd have to have made the exact same choices as the "canon" version, which probably is not the case. And since your TOR character is yours, I don't see how why you need to claim Darth Nox; why not just claim your character?

Halcyon508

Post by Halcyon508 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:07 am

Balsa wrote:Are those class stories canon? It seems to me that in order for them to be canon, you'd have to have made the exact same choices as the "canon" version, which probably is not the case. And since your TOR character is yours, I don't see how why you need to claim Darth Nox; why not just claim your character?
Yes the class stories are canon, but only to a certain extent. For instance Darth Nox is a Cannon character just "some aspects of Darth Nox's life is vague." Although in canon Darth Nox is supposed to be female either way. Also the Jedi Knight is merely a historical figure in canon called the "Hero of Tython." things like that.

Also Darth Nox IS the TOR Inquisitor Balsa. If you get to X point you become Darth Nox.

Anyways I'd rather not have people be able to make canon characters... I mean what next? I get to play the Exile from KOTOR2? or Revan from KOTOR because I played him? It's a slippery slope. And its nothing against Cadden because frankly I'm okay with Cadden doing it except for the fact that it sets what I consider to be a bad precedence.
Domani, forget domani
Let's live for now and anyhow who needs domani?
~ Frank Sinatra, Forget Domani

Nichalus

Post by Nichalus » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:20 am

After much researching the Net and my own thoughts about this, I found:
This article represents the character story of the Sith Inquisitor player class in Star Wars: The Old Republic, a video game from LucasArts and BioWare. As a result of being player determined, no canonical description of this individual is currently available; therefore, the article presents the subject's gender as neutral. When being given the choice of advancing to Sith assassin or Sith sorcerer, it is up to the player to decide.
Darth Nox appears to be more a 'title' than an actual character from history, since Nox is given to a person playing a female character in the game, and Darth Imperious if you are playing a male in the game. There is actually 'no' prior history speaking of a Nox (outside the game), or Imperious, outside the game. Unlike Revan, who has a 'vast' history outside the game in many books.

I also found this during my searches, that I liked:
G (George Lucas) canon is absolute canon. This category includes the final releases of the six films, the novelizations of the films, the radio dramas based on the films, the film scripts, and any material found in any other source (published or not) that comes directly from George Lucas himself. G canon outranks all other forms of canon.

T (Television) canon, which currently comprises Star Wars: The Clone Wars and the as yet unaired live action Star Wars TV series. This level of canon is considered to take precedence over C canon (see below), possibly due to the fact that George Lucas is directly involved with these shows as executive producer, and in the case of The Clone Wars is also on the writing team.

C (continuity) canon refers to the main body of EU work, and is the next most authoritative level of canon. All material published under the Star Wars label that doesn't fall into either G, T, S, or N canon is C canon and is considered authoritative as long as it isn't contradicted by G canon.

S (secondary) canon refers to older, less accurate, or less coherent EU works, which would not ordinarily fit in the main continuity of G and C canon. For example, this includes the popular online roleplaying game Star Wars Galaxies, and certain elements of a few N-canon stories.

N continuity material is also known as "non-canon" or "non-continuity" material. What-if stories (such as those published under the Infinities label) and anything else that cannot at all fit into continuity is placed into this category. "N-continuity" is not considered canon.
Our Exodus MBT would most definitely fit in the 'N' catagory, for the fact that we have taken our universe in a completely different direction. No Vong, we've had '3' Death Stars, we have numerous member created Governments, etc, etc....

As long as no one is making a 'claim' on the individual 'major' Star Wars characters (Han, Luke, Leia, Wedge, Chewie, Thrawn, etc..) or any of the major characters from books, TV and even games, I really don't see an issue...especially in this instance as Nox is a 'very' ambiguous character when it comes to 'who' this person is and his/her scheme in the SW Universe.

My personal opinion as a 'member' of this board is ....'meh'. If the Sith FC, and the other members of the Sith Community don't have an issue with it. Why should I?

I say go for it, and....have fun with it.
:obiwan: The 'Old Man' of the Exodus

EFFL Champion (2013-2016) First Two-Time Exodus Champion

Halcyon508

Post by Halcyon508 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:34 am

Nichalus wrote:If the Sith FC, and the other members of the Sith Community don't have an issue with it. Why should I?
Not to be that guy but its my understanding he isn't making the character as part of the Sith Empire and that's why he's asking the boards instead of the FC. Otherwise I pretty much agree with what Nich said. I don't really care all that much.
Domani, forget domani
Let's live for now and anyhow who needs domani?
~ Frank Sinatra, Forget Domani

Cadden
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:51 am

Well, to elaborate a little bit, I suppose:

What I'm asking for isn't every single solitary moment of the Inquisitor storyline. Mostly, I'm asking for the Inquisitor "ending" that results in the ascension to the Council, and becoming "Darth Whoever."

I would like to point out, as well, that the Darth title depends on the character's alignment, not gender/whatever.
Wookieepedia wrote:The name accompanying the title, however, is based on the player's alignment: "Darth Nox" for dark side; "Darth Imperius" for light side; and "Darth Occlus" for neutral.
I don't care if the character is named Darth Nox or not, personally. Or that he is the canon character in its entirety. As I said before in this post, I'm more interested in the Inquisitor's ending and the joining of the Council, etc. than anything else.

If the boards don't like it, I'm fine with that. I'll do a workaround.

Nichalus

Post by Nichalus » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:54 am

Yeah, I noticed my mistake in the interpretation. Old age, and all that... :mrgreen:
:obiwan: The 'Old Man' of the Exodus

EFFL Champion (2013-2016) First Two-Time Exodus Champion

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:22 am

I'm okay with it.
Everyone knows "Pops and Junior = #Ratings"
Everyone knows "Cazzik and Mir = #Wynning"
#Valkob4Life

Your Reigning, Defending EFL Champion
2x EFL Champion (2014, 2017)

Darkheyr
"Certified Local Madman"

Post by Darkheyr » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:41 am

I'd be completely opposed to "Darth Nox, who got onto the Dark Council after killing Darth Thanaton". Totally. For the reasons Halcyon listed.

But... if you dont actually use the Inquisitor story except for "Darth Joe, who got onto the Council after killing Darth Frank" I don't think you actually need our permission. I do have links to my own inquisitor already as well, as do others. And I'm fairly certain it isnt an uncommon way of promotion with the Sith Empire.

Mandalore_The_Uniter
DX Army Cadet

Post by Mandalore_The_Uniter » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:08 am

I'll give you my permission, on one condition...

you answer my PM!

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:37 pm

I was thinking of taking "Darth NOX" my self at one point, but then i thought it wouldn't be fair to anyone else who wanted to use their Sith inquisitors as a past relative or even as a character. So i changed my plans to my version just being "one of the sith" from that time line. Kinda hoped others would do the same. In other words "Darth Nox" will remain largely unknown and left alone, but for those of us who wish to involve our sith inquisitors is some way, we simply refer to them as one of the sith or one of the dark council. I'll admit i didn't read all of this thread yet, but i wanted to get my feelings up and out about this. TY
"This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode."
--Serenity