Kuat

If your thread needs an OOC thread as well, put it here.

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

corsos
Man of Many Faces

Kuat

Post by corsos » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:25 pm

I want to interact with the leader of Kuat - I just want to confirm no one here is actively rping the organization....

Also - if someone wants to get involved in this respect (Kuat helping the Empire/NR factions start a war) please post here.
"The goal of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the other bastard die for his." General George S. Patton

:emperor:

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Re: Kuat

Post by Mir » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:03 pm

I think the consensus was to leave the whole thing NPC, with no one taking it over.
Everyone knows "Pops and Junior = #Ratings"
Everyone knows "Cazzik and Mir = #Wynning"
#Valkob4Life

Your Reigning, Defending EFL Champion
2x EFL Champion (2014, 2017)

Cadden
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:07 pm

That's what I recall. I talked to Adam (Halcyon) a little while back, and he said he has no intention on returning, and doesn't much care what happens to his stuff, so liberties can be taken in that regards. Of course, given community consent, we'll likely just follow a more canon approach, which is kinda what Adam was doing anyway.
You have a right to remain silent... I hope to God you use it.
Xanamiar wrote:Cadden is a comical genius.

Nichalus

Post by Nichalus » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:28 pm

I think I can confirm what has already been stated that we'll just treat Kuat as a major NPC type facility, and that at this point, no one 'owns' anything concerning it.

I guess we can all treat it basically like a Major NPC like Thrawn, Leia, etc...and it's use is a case by case basis.
:obiwan: The 'Old Man' of the Exodus

EFFL Champion (2013-2016) First Two-Time Exodus Champion

Cadden
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:07 pm

I could verify it... but... I don't want to dig it up. :P

corsos
Man of Many Faces

Post by corsos » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:25 am

OK - well then Ill put it to the board - I think Kuat would be an obvious player in trying to promote war between the NR and Empire. THey get to sell more ships to both sides.

Seems to make sense.

This wouldnt be their official stance, obviously, but I think one of their middle management types might be directed to use some of their resources in this regard.

In the end, they middle management type would get caught but Kuat for the most part would remain unscathed, spare some rumors.

How does everyone feel about this?

Would anyone want to RP the Kuat portion of this?
"The goal of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the other bastard die for his." General George S. Patton

DorsetKonig
Location: Right Here. Sometimes over there, and a few places in between.

Post by DorsetKonig » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:54 am

I'll volunteer....seems like it'd be fun!
"Overwhelming odds do not always matter, especially when the valiant warrior knows his only alternative is unacceptable: Death."

Cadden
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:57 pm

Kuat's also got some sideways dealing with the CE... though I think that, at this point, that business should be concluded.

Also, I would like to point out that KDY was going to volunteer their other ESSD to the "Hunt the Bismarck... I mean Harbinger" story arc that Adam and I were building, and (at least briefly, I don't remember how much detail he divulged at the time) discussing with you dudez... so... how do we want to do that? I can refresh peoples' memory, pretty easily, but the whole idea of that story is found in the "Sink the Bismarck" song (with the other ESSD being the "Hood", and the end of the Harbinger being later than would be considered in the song), so there really shouldn't be much, if anything, to clarify.

StefanTheGreat
Stef is Best

Post by StefanTheGreat » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:03 pm

If the board agree with your proposition Corsos I can help you, I also inhirted a not so developed but existing character from John who works on Kuat. Can help you at least a little to move it ;-) :vader:

EMPIRE
StefanTheGreat the Dark Lord of...
...wait a minute...nah...title not working...
...LOLito-Chomoloco! :P

corsos
Man of Many Faces

Post by corsos » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:35 pm

You can work with Dorset on it.

I'll set the thread up.

DorsetKonig

Post by DorsetKonig » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:40 am

Cadden wrote:Kuat's also got some sideways dealing with the CE... though I think that, at this point, that business should be concluded.

Also, I would like to point out that KDY was going to volunteer their other ESSD to the "Hunt the Bismarck... I mean Harbinger" story arc that Adam and I were building, and (at least briefly, I don't remember how much detail he divulged at the time) discussing with you dudez... so... how do we want to do that? I can refresh peoples' memory, pretty easily, but the whole idea of that story is found in the "Sink the Bismarck" song (with the other ESSD being the "Hood", and the end of the Harbinger being later than would be considered in the song), so there really shouldn't be much, if anything, to clarify.
ESSD as in.....Eclipse Super Star Destroyer?

Didn't even know we had those around now.
"Overwhelming odds do not always matter, especially when the valiant warrior knows his only alternative is unacceptable: Death."

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:29 am

Before Halcyon left my NRI Agent, Jennie Hawker, had made contacts within Kuat. Namely, pretty much everyone in charge. There was one character in particular that she worked with before, I can't remember his name but he was pretty high up on the chain of command. Damned near the top, if I remember correctly...

Anyway, point is I have a way in if someone needs this war pushed from the NR side of things.
"Ol' Doc doesn't hide, he hibernates." -- Doc, Star Wars: The Old Republic

"What do you call it when you kill someone and take all their stuff?"
"Adventuring!" -- Tallis and Hawke, Dragon Age 2.

Cadden
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:49 pm

DorsetKonig wrote:ESSD as in.....Eclipse Super Star Destroyer?

Didn't even know we had those around now.
Canon pretty much dictated we do. If you look it up on Wook, it will explain that two ESSDs were basically a drydock project that Palpatine re-initiated when he was reborn... or something like that. Which meant that they were in KDY's hands even through Endor, and according to our branch-off storylines, they just kinda sat there collecting dust. So, to do something about that, Adam wanted to get rid of them all together (so that others don't have an excuse to use them), and we formulated this little storyline to take them out of the picture (though gradually, and hopefully in a fun way). Although its execution was rather rough, as there was a lot of misunderstanding between pretty much everyone involved, communications have cleared and everything's been forgiven (I'd assume :P), and the story is continuing pretty much in the same manner, with some possible minor alterations that will be addressed if they become an issue.

All that to say, yeah, as per canon, KDY's had ESSDs just floating around doing nothing since before the Battle of Endor.

Nichalus

Post by Nichalus » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:30 pm

Just a thought when I was reading what Cadden was talking about.

What if the 5th Column somehow got ahold of the ESSD, and used it to sow the seeds of war between the Empire and the NR, thus beginning the new conflict, and then later on, 'much' later...after several storylines, battles, etc..it is then discovered that both sides had been played by the 5th and they have to actually team up together to defeat them.

Just an idea...

StefanTheGreat
Stef is Best

Post by StefanTheGreat » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:35 pm

Nichalus wrote:Just a thought when I was reading what Cadden was talking about.

What if the 5th Column somehow got ahold of the ESSD, and used it to sow the seeds of war between the Empire and the NR, thus beginning the new conflict, and then later on, 'much' later...after several storylines, battles, etc..it is then discovered that both sides had been played by the 5th and they have to actually team up together to defeat them.

Just an idea...
Oh so get 5th so big and make them a nemesis to the NR and the GE? Basically after their war get against 5th making them the main villains? I would liike and get to give the ''yes'' in somethign like that since I am part of the 5th. Tremendous idea Nichalus!

PrincessTabetha/BlackHunt
Queen of the Damned

Post by PrincessTabetha/BlackHunt » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:36 pm

Nichalus wrote:Just a thought when I was reading what Cadden was talking about.

Just an idea...
You could show up at the summit and say hey empire attack the jedi see we have the ship. That should get people shooting at you. :oldrazz: They do not know its the second one.
Tabetha/Hunt
I got out of the bed today.
Swear to god couldn't see my face. I got out of the bed today starin at a a ghost.
Who forgot to float away didn't have all that much to say couldn't even tell his own name or where my body goes.
-Winter Sleep Weighty Ghost
It's an animal thing
Riddick

Cadden
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:39 pm

The only problem I see with that is that it completely fubars the whole "Sink the Bismarck" storyline that has already been planned and laid out....

Besides that, you gotta consider this: Darth Trayus already stole one ESSD... and now another ESSD is stolen, this time from underneath KDY's nose?

Don't get me wrong, I like the concept of the idea... but... I am rather attached to the whole "Harbinger destroys second ESSD, Sith Empire later takes down the Harbinger during a big-arse battle" idea that was previously set out in front of involved parties.

Nichalus

Post by Nichalus » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:44 am

It was just a thought..one of the fleeting few my old mind had for the day.. I had when I was going over this thread. :D

Balsa
Balsa is not a lie!

Post by Balsa » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:51 am

How does Kuat lose two ESSDs? :raisedbrow:

Someone's going to get fired for that!

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:07 am

love how kuat makes these super weapons for the Empire and the Republic does nothing about it. In Cannon and here.
"This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode."
--Serenity

PrincessTabetha/BlackHunt
Queen of the Damned

Post by PrincessTabetha/BlackHunt » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:10 am

Balsa wrote:How does Kuat lose two ESSDs? :raisedbrow:

I don't understand why there was not a house cleaning when the first was stolen. That's a serious deal.
Tabetha/Hunt
I got out of the bed today.
Swear to god couldn't see my face. I got out of the bed today starin at a a ghost.
Who forgot to float away didn't have all that much to say couldn't even tell his own name or where my body goes.
-Winter Sleep Weighty Ghost
It's an animal thing
Riddick

Cadden
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:24 am

Balsa wrote:How does Kuat lose two ESSDs? :raisedbrow:

Well, that's the point. Under the "Sink the Bismarck" story arc, KDY was going to "donate" the second ESSD to hunting down the first, thus is doesn't get stolen or "lost" (to follow a similar word usage as your own). That's one of the big reasons why I'm hesitant with Nich's pitch, 'cause them losing two ESSDs seems a bit... well, as you said. :P

The other reason 'cause it pretty much fubars said story arc up completely, since there'd be no second ESSD to hunt the Harbinger. :P

If those two circumstances were not an issue, I'd seriously have no problem with it. But, Nich, I could also make a secondary suggestion: why not use the Sovereign-class SSD? With Selic as the forerunner of this whole Moff faction thing, I could easily see information being known about these things (if we were to follow a more canonical method, which we wouldn't have to by any means, as canon would suggest that these were drafted up after Endor) by him, being in the position within the Empire that he had during the OT timeframe, and what we three that are working on that bit had drafted up for that story.

The Sovereign-class is essentially the same thing in base concept as the ESSD-class, and if we're to go for a more canon-mirrored approach, then we shouldn't even need to bother KDY with it.

Keeping in mind that all of that being on an "As far as I know" and "I could be mistaken/off/wrong on my beliefs of the facts" basis.

Considering that the main point of this "two ESSD" thing was to get the ESSD out of the public picture, we could do the same for the Sovereign-class in that regards, though with that one in canon there were four that were being built, and not just two from the ESSD class. So we'd have to figure out more details on that. :)

But it could be worked to where KDY was already commissioned for the Sovereign-class, and during this whole coup thing they nab one/the only one? from the Empire (after it's completion, kind of as a formal battle that results in the ship's capture)? I know that's a little repetitive in regards to the ESSD plot, so however you guys would want to work on the details could be up to you.

Like a said, an alternative to consider, and it makes everyone happy (I would assume). :)

Balsa
Balsa is not a lie!

Post by Balsa » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:27 am

Assuming the SE was going to play a part, would it continue to play a part?

Cadden
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:39 am

You talking about the ESSD thing? Yeah, SE is the primary party responsible for the Harbinger's demise. When I get around to it (I'm behind on both the MBT and WoH by a significant amount), I'll be far more proactive about getting that info out.

Balsa
Balsa is not a lie!

Post by Balsa » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:44 am

Okay, I just wasn't sure how/if the SE would fit into the whole second-ESSD-hunts-down-Harbringer thing, given what we had discussed some weeks/months ago.

corsos
Man of Many Faces

Post by corsos » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:53 am

Im still not in favor of the ESSD's just for the record, I've pointed that out before. But for story purposes, so be it.

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:14 pm

Why is the board so scared of super weapons? Why must the cannon ones always have to be "destroyed so no one else can use them"?

I view them as the nuclear weapons we have today. Just about everyone has them, they are scary weapons. But luckily our leaders know they aren't just weapons we can use on a simple whim. Wouldn't ships armed with super lasers be viewed much like that?

I don't know the story you guys have going involving these ships but if a legitimate government has it, and not some bat crap crazy nut job out to "rule the galaxy with fear", then its little more then another weapon in the fleets arsenal.

If your scared of planets getting blown to hell by them, don't be. The ESSDs super lasers can't blow a planet to chunks, though it could render a planet lifeless JUST LIKE THE TYPICAL ISD COULD! GASP! Pretty sure the ESSDs super lasers were mostly to destroy enemy ships.

Whats next? Going to destroy the Sovereign_Classes that are likely built and sitting around in dry dock as well? Their Super lasers are even more scaled down and are defiantly used only to blow away other ships.
"This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode."
--Serenity

Cadden
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:21 pm

Tbh, I dunno...

The two Death Stars were destroyed by a mere torpedo. (A couple of them in RotJ.)

Just sayin'.

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:24 pm

Calm down, Red, people around here have an aversion to super weapons mostly because of how they were used by other members in the past. While I don't think any of our current members are capable of or willing to repeat history that cannot be said about future members. We don't want new people showing up and believing that they can just ride around in an ESSD or a Death Star and just do what they want. Furthermore, this forum is a story board and not a sim board. Having a government with a super weapon is merely icing on the cake on this forum since there's really nothing you can do with it without board wide permission. So it doesn't make much sense to get all worked up over whether your cake has sugar or no sugar for either side of this argument.

... Also, the cake is a lie.

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:39 pm

That's true pryde, but if its true that one can't just go around ruining a planet with out the boards approval, then i still have to ask why the "fear" is still there...
--Serenity

Pryde
Pryngles

Post by Pryde » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:43 pm

Just because you can't do something without permission doesn't mean that someone won't be a huge nuisance about it. We've had arguments over this stuff that tore our community apart in the past and this forum can't survive another schism.

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:48 pm

I can understand that.
--Serenity

Balsa
Balsa is not a lie!

Post by Balsa » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:59 pm

Another thing to consider is that sometimes people do view this as a sim. Or they take the sim approach when IC conflict occurs. "I've got two SSDs, so my fleet automatically wins against your smaller fleet." That type of thing. And, as soon as it's legitimized that a conflict was won because of the SSDs, or superweapons, then everyone needs a superweapon in his or her government. And then everyone starts arguing about it.

It's bad storytelling.

Unless when it's good storytelling.

StefanTheGreat
Stef is Best

Post by StefanTheGreat » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:19 pm

I also think if I can add anything even though I am a new member and respect the older and more experienced ones that if someone would be willing to control a superweapon he would also have to acept that other people would try to destroy it or take it for them since it would be a major threat. IC this is not a good motive to aquire one because you are being number one target.

I am in favor of having a superweapon if it helps a story to develop and not result into simulation situations as matter in fact I would like to see something like that only if for instance would give a story like the two death stars did especially the first ;-)
:vader:

Cadden
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:36 pm

Pryde2000 wrote:... Also, the cake is a lie.
So is Balsa.

Nichalus

Post by Nichalus » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:46 pm

I think Pryde and Balsa hit on the major points about Super Weapons.

It isn't so much a 'fear' of members acquiring such a thing for a story..as has been shown with the Death Star stories..but more of a caution that they should not be used as a 'crutch', so to speak. We don't need to have ulta-powerful weapons, or even characters, to create a good story. I think a more apt phrase would be that we are 'weary' that we don't allow the past to make a reappearance now that we really have things...in my opinion...running rather smoothly.

And yes, to a certain extent, it does matter 'who' is the one asking for permission to use such a thing as a plot device. As has been stated by others here, we have indeed had members here that took things at a 'sim' value, over the 'story'...and let's just say it didn't turn out very well. And we have to be cautious that the use of such thing does not set a precedence. Again, granted, it does have a bit to do with ...for lack of a better word...tenure here.

also...

Balsa is 'not' a lie...

Cadden is *smirk*

Cadden
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:54 pm

:obiwan: :lightsaber:

DorsetKonig

Post by DorsetKonig » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:24 pm

*Clears throat*

Ahem.....getting back on track with things i'll throw in my two cents and say that I like Cadden's original "Sink the Bismarck" idea.

KDY losing both ESSDs would also seem way too far-fetched IMO, as after the loss of the 1st one (aside from the project managers being fed to Rancors) security for the 2nd ESSD would've been bumped up to insanity levels.

To keep it out of the picture we could even take what Cadden was saying a step further, with KDY making moves to loan the ESSD to hunt down the other one before a "fault" in it's design becomes apparent that keeps it non-operational and out of the picture for however long the board wants it gone....while KDY engineers work to fix it.

Out of sight. Out of mind right? Hell we could even have the fault be so bad that it requires the ship to be partially de-constructed or some such.

That way we can preserve the thing for some other plotline, and also have only 1 ESSD floating around as the "Big Bad" for now until it's dealt with.

Halomek
Master of the Ninja Post

Post by Halomek » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:03 pm

Along the same lines as the ESSD, it’s also worth noting for those who aren’t aware of it yet that the Edict of Darkness has survived the Battle of Arcanix and is currently destroying Imperial and Republic convoys (roughly a month after the battle). While not on the same scale as an ESSD, it’s still a significant threat on its own.

That said, I’ve got no plans for a “Sink the Bismark” plot with it. I’m going more for a Nemo and the Nautilus, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, type of voyage with it. The Edict’s ability to escape into otherspace is comparable to the Nautilus escaping underwater. In other words, it has the ability to go somewhere no other ship of its day can and you can draw the other parallels from there.

No reason it should affect the ESSD plot at all, except maybe warranting a few throwaway lines to its attacks. Maybe the CE uses the Edict’s attacks as a way to cover up their own with the Harbinger until people figure out that there are actually two massive rogue ships out there. :P
When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons and make super lemons!

Cadden
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:54 pm

Actually, the way Adam wanted to do things, the second ESSD is destroyed by the Harbinger. But if someone wants to alter that a bit, that's fine. Maybe crippled and put on drydock, but the reason for it going out after the other ESSD is 'cause it only makes sense. Match firepower and do what you gotta do to bring the thing down, right?

Up to whoever's going to handle that, though. I'm not completely married to it, I just like the idea of both ESSDs getting taken out in one story. Makes things cooler. :P