Mutants Inc. 4: Rebirth.

An interactive forum that focuses on DC and Marvel like superheroes...

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus, WoH Coordinators

Was this worthwhile? Was it a suitable end to Mutants?

Yes, it all makes sense and ties things up nicely.
33%
No it's stupid - you should have left well alone.
17%
I have no idea, I can't understand this drivel - what happened?
33%
I don't care, I found this really boring... I wasn't into Mutants Inc
No votes
Look, stop wasting time on this and post on Girl and the Dragon - it's a better story anyway!
17%

Total votes: 6

Devout Atheist

Mutants Inc. 4: Rebirth.

Post by SmokeMare »

The Cyzor Building : Top Floor

The lift door slid open silently and Smokemare stepped through into the unknown. Kyle, Kody, Jim, they were around somewhere, but he was the only one here. In ways he was more fascinated than afraid, he'd heard about Cyzor so many times, and met so many of her minions... how could any person be so cruel and heartless? So hell bent on power?

As he strolled about the gloor the medical theme of the floor gave him the shivers. There were several beds about the place with straps on them, their occupants now gone and lost to time. Was this where Seraphim met her end?

As he walked through he held his blade tighter, it felt different, he felt different. He felt alive in a way he hadn't done since before the fire. He didn't have time to think about this though, as he turned the corner he saw a woman, older than he was, but very beautiful she was steadying herself on a trolley, seemingly trying to get away from him, and get to a cabinet in the corner of the room.

He shouted angrily, "Where is Cyzor?"

The woman turned and scowled at him, her eyes full of hate, "Hah! Even now you don't know? You fool, the only reason you evn think you can win is pure luck!"

Realisation grew on Smokemare's face, it didn't need to be said, but he had to say it anyway, "You are Cyzor?"

She backed away, clearly weakened, "You can't win, I am eternal, I remember the dawn of time and the end of the universe, you are weak! Pathetic!"

Smokemare approached, his blade now held high, "I am going to kill you, for Seraphim, for Cathy, the hundreds, or thousands of others who have perished at your whim."

Cyzor stood up straighter now and threw her hands towards him, a small trickle of flame shot from her hands and scorched him on the shoulder, settin his clothes on fire. He felt pain, real pain for the first time in years, and he cired out, desperately patting the flames.

The effort seemed to wear her out even further though, he rubbed his charred shoulder and staggered forwards, "Why now Cyzor? And why Seraphim? Why all those other mutants?"

Cyzor was panting heavily at this point, struggling for breath, "I took a power too many, now I have to stay near the dampening field... If you were here at any other time than now I would destroy you utterly!"

"Why Seraphim?"

"You mean... you don't understand? I have been travelling the globe for centuries taking mutants powers, at first I stole them and let my prey go free, but the powers faded. I found that killing the original owners of the powers I had taken allowed me to keep their power. Sometimes I had bad experiences, I started to take care with what powers I took, Seraphim's power was very special, and very... compatible... I would have had your power too! We were so close..."

"You should have known you'd never get away with it, people rebel! Even if you'd succeeded and made yourself ruler of the world - do you think you would stayed in power for long?"

"Hah! You really don't know what you're dealing with! I could have stood a hundred feet tall ofe r the city, awash in flame, destroying everything in my sight simply with my willpower... Nothing could stand up to me..."

Smokemare stepped closer, his sword pulled back for a deady swing.

"It ends here Cyzor."

"No wait! Can't you see! I've only ever had the worlds best interests at heart! You have to make a few sacrifices for the good of the many! All the war, terrorism, conflict... I could have ended it all! The world could have lived in peace! It still can, help me! You can rule a country if you like..."

Smokemare faltered at this, what she was saying made a certain sense, before he could speak though she grabbed a scalpel from a nearby trolley and thrust it deep into his side. Doubling over in pain he coughed a glob of blood onto the floor and screamed and agony.

"Aaaargh! I'm bleeding! How is this possible!?" Paralysed on the floor, he groaned in pain, spilling crimson blood over teh clean floor.

Cyzor smiled warmly at him, "My dear boy, this is how it's possible." She pressed a button on the white cabinet and the door swung open. Inside a young man was strapped to a board and wired into all sorts of machinery, he seemed to be heavily sedated.

"This dear boy, is my dampening field, I don't know how it works, but some how it does. Most mutant powers do not work around him, some do but with great effort. A pity I cannot take your power... Perhaps I should strap you to a trolley and have a go? Some of my powers are so developed I can use them without the dampening field, it just takes a little effort - I can certainly use my absorbtion power."

Smokemare looked up helplessly, she was eyeing him like a farmer might eye a cattle before they sent them to slaughter. Crippled with pain he tried to move. Cyzor stepped closer and kicked him on the spot where she'd buried the scalpel in his side, rupturing internal organs. Screaming in pain he howled and dropped his blade. Cysor reached down and picked him up, with very little effort she hauled him onto the nearby trolley and pulled straps over him, incapacitating him further.

The trolley was covered in blood and he was panting, passing in and out of consciousness. Cyzor approached the bed from behind and placed her hands on his face, "Don't worry this won't hurt, and it won't take many minutes... You don't know how long I've waited for this... You power, is the final piece in the jigsaw. Once I have your power I will no longer be a powerful mutant, I will be a god, the world will tremble at my feet. How ironic that I take your power here, on the exact same bed I took Seraphim's power... I will not allow you to escape though, you will be killed where you lie, a pity, it was great fun tearing that girl apart with her own power... Still..."

Smokemare began to feel warm, all his cells were vibrating, he could fel his smoke forming being drained from him. At the same time he was incensed with anger, the image of Seraphim lying in the morgue, of Cyzor laughing and calling it 'fun'. His blood began boiling with fury, despitethe dampening field he unformed, into a thick black goo, screaming, he melted off the bunk and whisped into smoke, reforming behind Cyzor and lifting his blade, he swang with the anger of all the kids who had helped him, Serenity, who had never left his thoughts since her death at the hands of Bane, Sable, the Professor, Matrix, Kyle, Kody, Jim, Julian, Spectre. The blade sailed through the air and slice Cyzors back clean open.

She collapsed onto the floor, blood pouring from her back, screaming in agony, "You weak pathetic fool! You can't win! I can change the very fabric of reality, I can distort space time itself!"

He raised his blade and prepared to deliver the coup de grace, "It's over Cyzor..."

"Never..."

Smokemares world caved in on itself, blackness then thoughts, memories... He no longer knew who he was or where he was... Then he heard the screams, the crackling flames... His family burning...

"Nooooooo!"

He shook himself awake, he rolled over, and looked at his surroundings. He was under an old railway bridge, his clothes were tattered and torn. He picked up the half full whisky bottle next to him and took a long hard slug.

It soothed the pain, a little, vague memories flittered through his head. He couldn't recall how long he'd been in America, how long it had been since the fire... He slugged the bottle again, he still had the vile taste of ash and burning in his mouth from earlier on when he'd used his ability to steal the bottle...

He rolled onto his back and stared at the starry sky, then chugged the bottle again. When had it come to this? His life was vicious circle of pain, alcohol and depression... Pain, was all his life had been for a long time now, could things ever be any different? He chugged the bottle again, then closed his eyes, sleep never came of course, but sometimes he felt like lying their awake with his eyes closed was a reasonable substitute.

His eyes closed he smelled the burning, he could taste the ash, and he heard the screams of his younger sister, burning to death in the next room.[/b]
Kyr’am Gota

Post by Topgun220 »

OOC: Throwing this out here, possibility for an overarching storyline if anybody wants it. And anyone should be able to join this thread and create a completely new character if they so choose.

IC:
Kyle sat in the rocking chair staring at the ceiling. He heard what Doc was saying but he really didn’t want to hear it.

“So what you’re telling me is that I’m going to die?” Kyle asked pointedly.

“No, we all die eventually you don’t need a doctor to tell you that. I’m just saying you are going to die a lot sooner than most. Ya see the virus you were exposed to. It enhances your powers, as you’ve noticed, but it also speeds up your biological aging. You’ve aged several years in the past three months for instance.”

“Okay so you’re a doctor with healing powers, hit me.”

“You don’t think I’ve tried? This virus…it was designed to replicate itself when threatened. So when I tried to use my powers to destroy the virus it only put it into overdrive. The only way you are going to get cured is if Dr. Jarold has the antidote, or can make one. He designed the virus, he should know.”

“What if he doesn’t have one?”

“Then mutants everywhere are as good as dead. The government just needs a way to distribute the virus amongst the populace and instant anti-mutation. It’s ineffective against humans.”

“How do you know?”

“You…infected me with it two weeks ago when we shook hands. Since then I’ve kissed, hugged, and played with my daughter enough to get her infected. However, since she lacks the mutant gene she has not been affected. The government has themselves a nice weapon here.”

“So that only leaves one option.” Kyle said.

Kyle stood up and walked over to the door of Doc’s small house. It was in the outskirts of New York city, Kyle had been traveling around the world for a few months but he had finally come full circle now. He needed to find Dr. Jarold so he could get an antidote.

“I’m going to start looking for Dr. Jarold. He is in New York somewhere, I just need to find him.” With that Kyle opened the door, took his black bandana that covered his white hair, put on his dark black sunglasses that disguised his silver eyes and walked out, closing the door behind him.

He put his leg around his bike and sat on its leather seat a moment. He checked his black leather biker jacket for his passport and wallet, of which both were still present. He then picked his key out from his other pocket and started his bike. He gave it his own personal ‘jumpstart’ of electricity and set off down the road towards the New York metropolis
Niko says:
were so lame
Kit_Fitsu says:
but awesome at the same time
Niko says:
its so contradictory
Magic Man says:
agreed on both acounts
Primal Magus

Post by Merlin »

OOC: Not sure about what happened in part III.... but this sort of looks like the end of that volume of and the beginning of a next....

Normally I'd ask if I could join in, but as I started the original Mutants Inc thread...

IC:

Sable stretched and yawned as she woke from her deep, dreamless sleep. She had found a hole under the 74th street bridge, a perfect place for a nap, for a girl that could not be hurt. She scrambled out of the ragged hole and into the undergiding of the bridge, where she grabbed ahold of one of the I-beams and flipped out into the open air, taking a thirty foot drop to the concrete below. Being unable to be hurt certainly provided one with a quick mode of travel, so long as one wanted to go straight down.

Sable, a young girl of seventeen (and a half!), was on her own. She had beaten her own father, who later died from complications, and was wanted by the police for a number of crimes, though the most of heinous of which she never committed, the murder of Serenity, her little sister. No, that lay at the feet of Bane, a seriously twisted transistor. And Aurora... that bitch.

Being on her own wasn't that bad, though a bit lonely. When all of this had started, she had entertained some half baked notion that she could be a leader to the others, a unifying factor. Instead, she had gotten some of them killed, been betrayed by a friend, and in the end, she ran away from Matrix's institute, seeing that he was far better equipped to lead than she ever would be.

She had never really mourned her sister's death, nor had she come to terms with the total hatred she now felt for Bane. A frustrated hatred, though, for she had no idea where the snake had gone off to. He certainly wasn't showing his face around her. As she thought abuot this, she idly smacked the wall with her fist. The weight of her emotion was such that she unintentionally released some of the kinetic energy from her earlier fall into the wall, blowing a small chunk out of it. A passer-by was sprayed with some lime dust and flecks of red brick.

Sable blushed and said "They don't make them like they use to, right?", and hurried away down an alley.

A few moments later Sable was atop a building overlooking Bane's building. The top of the scyscraper was still in ruins, and still smoking a little. The damage done to the street after their epic battle following Serenity's death was still evident. Marks of her failure.

Suddenly a bleak depression washed over her, and great sobs tore out of her. She brought nothing but despair to everyone she loved, everyone she allowed in. She was just a worthless little girl with a worthless power. What good was it, to not be hurt, when you can't DO anything else? What good is having any power, if you are too inept to use it? She deserved to be the one that was shot, not Serenity. At least her power could have done someone some good... Sable wished that she could throw herself from the rooftop, and for once... not survive.

Matrix sipped at his coffee (cream, two sugars) as he scanned the day's business. He had been disappoitned with the group of youngsters he had brought in, but at least his interaction with them had not been a total failure. He maintained contact with several of them, and was still working on designs for equipment that might help each of them control or harness their powers.

As he was memorizing the day's fiscal reports, researching a mining prospectus in Rio, adjusting some lines of code in a new software suite he was developing, and typing an e-mail to a friend, he also was subtly analyzing the flavors in the coffee. He recognized the coffee as his own private blend, and the cream as that coming from his own stock at the wetbar. The sweetener, though, was not purely sugar. This realization came at the same moment that he registered a five percent drop in overall biological efficiency, a decrease similar to that from becoming tired from a day'w work. The weariness increaased in magnitude from a five percent decrease to a twenty percent decrease over the span of two seconds. Matrix had been poisoned.

He finished the e-mail he had been composing, adding to it the fact that he had just been poisoned and was passing out, and pressed send even as he lost conciousness.

Darkstar hovered behind the yacht, letting the wake of the ship pull her body along, which was mostly converted to a bright light spectrum. With so little mass, the subtle wind disturbance caused by the wake of the boat was enough to simply pull her along. She as not worried about being spotted, any passerby would simply think that daddy had installed a bright light on the ship. She waited till the yacht got out to sea and came to rest before moving.

As she rose from her hiding place, she converted her mass back to colored spectrums, allowing herself ot be seen in her dark violet outfit, marked by dark blue leggings and black boots and gloves. A sneer of disdain marked her beautiful features as daddy and his guests noticed her there. She was not wearing her mask.

"Chelsea?" Daddy sputtered as he rose to his feet, knocking over a small deck table and some drinks. The others, daddy's oil friends and political bed-mates, looked on as if watching a show. She would give them one.

"Look what I can do, daddy..." she said with seductive drawl. She raised her hands before her, as if holding a ball. "I can bundle up light waves-or particles, depending on how you look at it-and make them do all kinds of things. I can make myself fly, or darken an area." To drive the point home, she sucked the ambient light out of the area, into the space between her hands, creating a glowing ball of energy hovering there. "I can convert light into different bands, like this." As she spoke, she converted the light bundled in her hand to the extreme ultraviolet range, essentially creating a ball of X-Rays. The people on the ship's deck, and daddy, all started sweating as the small bundle of UV light in her hands started emitting heat. She realeased the ball of black and violet energy, and it drifted down toward the men. "But most of all, I like this one." She turned her hands toward the men and she began to convert every scrap of light in the area into UV rays.

Daddy screamed as his flesh started to bubble, but the scream was short lived. His eyes bulged and his tongue swelled up to fill his mouth. All the men fell to the deck, all of them were swelling, bursting, and cooking from the inside out. Suddenly, the fuel tanks of the Yacht ruptured, causing a fantastic explosion. Darkstar flew straight up, barely outracing the wave of heat and flame that gouted up from the yacht.

Daddy was dead. And now, she owned it all...
Kyr’am Gota

Post by Topgun220 »

OOC: Merlin if you want im totally in on this, we'll pretend my last post never exsisted. I'd love to rp this thread again.
Niko says:
were so lame
Kit_Fitsu says:
but awesome at the same time
Niko says:
its so contradictory
Magic Man says:
agreed on both acounts
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare »

OOC:Woah, Merlin's back... Missed that one... Sorry dude - I tried to keep your thread alive, but in the end it was just too difficult. This was meant as a sort of epilogue to the whole thing originally, I wanted to redo Smokemare as a character only better - so I did the Cyzor reality twist as a last depserate move... Erm, you should read up on part 3 - I had to skip alot to get here, but it was all mucked up... can we start a new OOC Thread to discuss pulling this out of the ground again properly? And planning how we are to do it?
Primal Magus

Post by Merlin »

Anyone is welcome, as with the previous volume... so, yes Tops, feel free to jump in.

Smoke, not really back, just a bit more than lurking, really. I couldn't even find part three... actually...

As for an OOC thread... I'm on it.
Oh please... the only things they did better than us was suck and die!
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare »

OOC: In between my first post and this, Smokemare's story is here:- http://www.starwarsexodus.com/forum/vie ... sc&start=0 The Triumvirate. Part III is in the Spiral of World Forum or Here:-

http://www.starwarsexodus.com/forum/vie ... 89&start=0

IC:

Smokemare took a long slow walk back through the city. He had vague memories of another life, a life gone... Something wasn't right, that for sure. He took a winding route through all parts of the city, occasionally stopping to smoke a cigarette or drain a little more whisky. Flashing images raced through his mind as he walked, then a building that looked like a rocket had hit the top... He remembered something, a fight? A shot... A... Bane...

It was Bane's building... There'd been some sort of battle he was sure of it... But then he wasn't sure, everything was cloudy... As he scanned the sky line he spotted a slightly petit figure standing near the edge of one of the other buildings. She looked like she was going to jump... It was too high for her to hear him, and he probably wouldn't make it to her in time to stop her anyway...

All these thoughts were racing through Smokemares mind, could he save her if she jumped? Should he save her? In ways he was quite jealous of her ability to die... Such a simple thing, yet sometimes so desirable. He sat down on the pavement with his bottle of whisky and kept his eyes on the jumper, he drank some more whisky and lit a cigarette...
Primal Magus

Post by Merlin »

OOC: We're thinking about moving this whole thing over to Spiral of Worlds....
Oh please... the only things they did better than us was suck and die!
Devout Atheist

Post by SmokeMare »

Merlin wrote:OOC: We're thinking about moving this whole thing over to Spiral of Worlds....
I have no problem with that at all!