Red Arrow: Silent Night

An interactive forum that focuses on DC and Marvel like superheroes...

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus, WoH Coordinators

Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Red Arrow: Silent Night

Post by Vox »

It had been two years since Star City had been shaken to its core. The night of the “Uprising” had come, alien technology had corrupted city computers, various criminal entities at the center of the destruction had tried to lay claim to the city only to be thwarted by the cities vigilante, Red Arrow, and his teammates Artemis, Black Canary, Echo, and Green Arrow. It had taken months for the city to recover in any way to resume a business as usual daily routine which the final roads into the downtown area of Star City only being finished mere weeks prior to the two year anniversary of the near apocalyptic night.

Harper Weapons and Development, Queen Industries, Wayne Enterprises, Stark Industries, and a few other high profile corporations had all worked as a team, something that was hard to believe if you knew the men behind them, and rebuilt Star City into a technological marvel. HyperLoop mass transit ran throughout the city, a subway system ran through the denser parts of downtown, technology firms based their business in what was being called the new ‘City of Tomorrow.’ With the rise in technology, enhanced CCTV systems and even the refurbishment of the worse off areas of Star City its defenders had needed to adapt, learn the criminals new patterns, and map a city that was nothing like its previous iteration.

Perched on top of the Samsung building Red Arrow looked down at a group of tourists, his mask lenses zooming in while he watched them laugh through the well lit part of the downtown area, an area the locals at started called Star’s Row. He hated the name; it did not roll off the tongue like more popular areas in larger cities. His ear piece buzzed and he tilted his head slightly while he fired his grappling gun pulling himself further into the air so he could see the larger part of the cities skyline. A breaking and entering, a cop wrestling with a drug addict, and a man arguing with a prostitute all filtered through his audio sensors as hoods computer system received information from his base of work and Echo, the eastern European teenager that ran it as if she had built the system which in some ways she had.

Tonight was a slow night, so far. It was approaching midnight, the time muggers tended to show up around the bars but Artemis had already given the all clear on all the frequently hit co-ed drinking establishments. Pushing off from his perch Red Arrow fell silently through the air his hood fluttering slightly till he spun, held his bow over his head and it fanned out into a small one handed glider slowing his fall enough for his genetically enhanced frame to handle the remaining force of his landing on the ground. Walking to his motorcycle the vigilante looked up and down the alleyway he had left the bike in before accelerating toward the housing area known as the Dockyard.

If Star’s Row was quiet, the Dockyard would surely not be. A converted shipyard the Dockyard held middle class tiered housing along with a few high-end penthouses on a tiered pyramid style build up from the old concrete piers to meet at a point in the middle. The peak held the higher end large floor planned penthouses, normally one or two to a pyramid to accommodate those rich enough, and brave enough, to live there. The center of the pyramid was hollow, holding inward facing condominiums that had balcony’s overlooking the water between the piers. The design had been well thought out but had led to very interesting activity happening both on the water and on the streets around the piers due to lower incoming housing and industrial warehouses still in existence caused a collision of lifestyle and crime.

Turning off the highly customized motorcycle Red Arrow stepped off the bike and launched himself into the air landing four stories up with the aid of a quick ledge grab and placed himself next to his primary assistant to keeping the barely recovered Star City under control. Without looking up the hooded woman spoke as if he had asked a question. “No news is good news I guess, a few drug dealers, one attempted robbery but none of the normal higher profile criminals. They’re being quiet.”

“Yeah,’ he said with both agreement and a lack of enjoyment. “I’m not sure I like quiet nights, tells me that someone is up to no good.”
Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Re: Red Arrow: Silent Night

Post by Vox »

One would wonder how he knew what happened when criminals went quiet, most would call it a night and go grab a drink. Brendan knew the patterns of the criminals, the analytical data, and what his gut was telling him. He could go take care of the lower level thugs by menacing in a corner without ever actually engaging them or he could follow up on where the more meaningful criminals had ventured off to. “Echo, find me Theodore Kremenov.”

“Kremenov,” Artemis stated, ‘he’s far more able to tell where to get a good Ukrainian dessert then he is to give us any info on the latest meeting hub for the cities criminals.”

“Maybe, but I’ll take my chances that he knows something outside of a good recipe for cannoli.”
Red Arrow scanned the crowded main street of the Dockyard and his masks lenses tracked identities searching for anyone of interest but found none. A few petty crimes scrolled past but were quickly dismissed. Squeezing his glove for three seconds the vigilante archer watched as a map of the city popped up from the palm of his left hand with a dot shown only two blocks away. “Echo, is that Kremenov?”

“No,’ the Ukrainian accented voice answered back. “That is what the feds have marked as the center for a Russian crime syndicate with ties to the FSB. Not sure why they haven’t cleared it out of their database but it might be worse a peak, who knows if someone is recycling old hideouts.”

Without responding Red Arrow had launched himself across the wide boulevard in front of him firing his grappling gun a little over half way through the leap to pull him the rest of the way across the thoroughfare with Artemis landing a few seconds later than he and down on the street rather than up above on a roof. She could blend into a crowd easier with her attire. While her presence in the city was known there were few pictures of her in battle dress that would cause her to be noticed in larger groups of citizens. Making the turn into the alleyway that the warehouse faced Artemis took a step twenty feet into the narrow street and realized she was being watched. Continuing to walk forward she was suddenly faced with a dozen or so bright lights and nearly as many armed guards sporting some heavy equipment for firearms. “You guys new to town? I’m just passing through. Not looking for trouble.”

“Too late for that, need to take you to see Raven.”

“Whose Raven?” The question was posed to the armed men in front of her, Echo who was listening over the radio and her partner who stood a couple stories up watching the proceeding all at once.

“Searching now,” Echo stated as the men moved to search Artemis for weapons.

“You can stay there gentlemen. You’ve got plenty of hardware, I’m not a threat. Besides you’d be a fool to come any closer.” Artemis smiled a cold smile under her hood knowing she was going to get no where with the argument and was hoping to make them hesitate enough to give her an advantage.

“No idea who Raven is, but it appears he or she runs a paramilitary security firm hired by less than reputable people who guard highly sensitive information, cargo, or otherwise important things.”

“Like a meeting of criminal minds” Red Arrow stated. “Guess its time to make an introduction.”

Artemis stepped back from the man who went to search her and shook her head. “Not gonna happen. Sorry but only one man gets to wand me.”

“Well, that one man is gonna be me tonight, either with you on your feet or off of them.” The guards voice did not sound amused though he had little time to finish his threat before Red Arrow landed between his partner and the man.

“She said no, I suggest you take that as the literally no rather than the kind that has any kind of ambiguity.” Raising his fists the vigilante looked at the man who was easily four inches shorter than the genetically modified super soldier. “Now, take us to your boss or we’ll find our way to him ourselves.”