Genesis: Scarlet Spider: Rise Above

An interactive forum that focuses on DC and Marvel like superheroes...

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus, WoH Coordinators

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Re: Genesis: Scarlet Spider: Rise Above

Post by Mir » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:07 am

“Gentlemen, I am glad you have come. Truly, I am. Hopefully, we can put this violence behind us and return to having profitable days ahead of us.” Black Tarantula said. He leaned back in the armchair he sat in, smoke from the cigar curling upwards. “You know as well as I do, that the operation I’ve brought to Chicago maybe smaller in size than some of the other organizations, but our strength rivals any of the entities that jostle for position in this great city.” He said, looking at the ash that was starting to build on the end of the cigar. “It would benefit everyone if we could find a way to peacefully co-exist, don’t you think?” His eyes finally flitted up to the men he was speaking to.

Across the small marble top coffee table sat three men. They were dressed similarly to he, and he was grateful that he was finally going to be able to speak to people who looked like true businessmen. Perhaps they would be able to reach some kind of agreement. Behind them, towards the back of the room, were a few of their lieutenants.

“What would be your terms?” One of the leaders of the Latin Disciples asked.

Black Tarantula rose and looked out at the view. They were in a high rise building facing due east, so he could see Millennium and Grant Park and beyond that the blue waters of Lake Michigan. “My terms are simple. My men will be able to do their work without interference from you.” He said. “In exchange, I offer you my word that I will not eradicate you from the face of the earth.”

As he spoke, his phone vibrated in his pocket, and he reached into his suit jacket to pull it out. Looking at the message he’d received, Black Tarantula nodded to himself. “Gentlemen, you can see that from the beginning I negotiated with your organization in good faith. I did not wear the mask of my office and I do not wear it now. You know my face, you know my name. I used neither harsh words, nor harsh actions until I was provoked. It is not my honor or integrity called into question. Your men,” He said, turning to look at the three of them, “your men have the backbone of dogs and it showed that day. It showed later when they thought to assault me. But I’m willing to look past that.”

“What parts of the city do you want to operate in?” Another leader asked. “We can’t just give you certain parts. We have other agreements in place. The Italians, the Polish, they’re interested in what happens here today too. You can’t think just because you’re the new guy in town you can dictate to us and get what you want.” He added, scoffing. “So what neighborhoods do you want?”

“This isn’t a discussion about Logan Square or the Back of the Yards or Boy’s town or any one neighborhood. You will let me do my work without interference, wherever that might be. I’m not saying you can’t compete. I’m saying you won’t forcibly restrict my organization’s movements.” Black Tarantula replied, still looking out the window.

“This is the same offer I heard you gave the guys before.”

He turned and smiled, looking over his shoulder. “It is.” He replied with a nod of his head.

“If we weren’t willing to accept it then, why would we be willing to accept it now?” The man asked.

The Black Tarantula paused, lifting up his free hand and sticking a gloved finger in the air. He moved in a slow, lazy circle as he spoke, his eyes closed as he squinted, a disbelieving look on his face. “If I am to understand you gentlemen correctly, you are not going to work with me and find an agreement we all can live with?” He asked.

“You can’t kill all of us. We have hundreds of members in Chicago.” The third man said.

With a shake of his head, Black Tarantula chuckled, running a hand through his long locks of hair, before reaching into his suit pocket, the grin on his face slowly morphing into one that might have been more suited for a predator than a man. “You know, I thought, I had a feeling this was going to journey down the same path as before.” He unlocked the phone and showed the three men the message he’d received, as he also tossed the remains of the cigar into the ashtray that was on the marble table.

They saw the pictures.

“You misunderstood me before, but with the way my words were weaved together, I can see how that could be the case. I was not saying I would eradicate the Latin Disciples from the face of the earth.” Black Tarantula said, tossing them the phone before beginning to walk around the room slowly. “No, I meant you. You three, you are the head leaders of the Latin Disciples. Without you, there is no leadership. To wipe you off the face of the earth…” He said, trailing off as he reached a side table. There was the ornate box. “Of course, that means you, your spouses, your progeny, and so on and so forth.” He opened the box and pulled out one of the Star Model 1931 pistols. The military issue pistol swung around, in his hand, already loaded. Black Tarantula started pulling the trigger.

He didn’t need to wear his mask. His face was etched in granite almost, unmoving.

Turning to the lieutenants, he gave them a genial smile. “Without leadership, you have no direction. I’ll give you a similar offer to what I gave your former masters. Work for me. Swear your loyalty to me. Serve the Black Tarantula.”

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir » Wed May 17, 2017 11:16 am

“You guys better behave yourselves, or I’m going to be super pissed off with you.” Temperance said, raising her voice.

The sounds of the children running and screaming with laughter told her that her wishes were not going to be obeyed. There was a part of her that wasn’t that upset about it though. It had taken some time, months really, but Joshua was finally starting to get back to his old self. Without all the carjacking, street racing, and other problems he’d caused. She was so happy to be getting her brother back. He’d wanted this party, this summer celebration. Going along with it was the least she could do for him. After all, since he had come back, he had thrown himself into helping her and helping the kids with everything they could ask for. He’d found a job and had gone back to school. Sure, the job thing had kind of burned down, quite literally, but he was a full time student and he was going to finally get his degree soon, something their mother had always wanted for both of her children. He was starting to turn his life around.

So putting up with a lot of the neighborhood kids over at the house, all armed with super soakers and causing a ruckus, well that was a headache that Temp was okay with dealing with. Though Temperance was a bit annoyed that it was Joshua who had bought her two daughters, his nieces, the Super AquaBlaster 8000s they had been asking for. Apparently these things were a big deal. A part of her could always understand that aspect of childhood. There had been plenty of things she and Joshua had wanted growing up that her parents couldn’t afford. After all, that was the problems that came with being the kids of a con man and car thief. But still, the super soakers had been a bit much. Then again, now Maggie and Patty had the best ones on the block.

She grabbed the big bowl of coleslaw she’d been working on preparing and stepped outside. Running around her half acre backyard were a lot of the neighborhood kids. Setting the bowl on the big fold out table they had set up, Temperance walked over to where her brother was, standing in front of the grill. A lot of the parents of the juvenile delinquents currently terrorizing the populace were at various points of the backyard.

Everyone was in conversation and everyone was having a good time.

“How’s it going?” She asked her brother and Joshua gave her an easy smile as he reached for his bottle of beer. “That good, huh?”

“Well, I got a call back from one of the places I interviewed at.” He said. “I might be getting that internship at the business consulting company.” Joshua said. When Temperance’s face lit up, he gave her a look. “They haven’t run the background checks yet.” He said.

“Still. This is good news.” She said. “You’re not going to ruin this for me, Joshua Caleb.” Temp added.

“Trust me, I’m not trying to.” He replied. He watched as his sister walked away to go talk to one of the neighbors. It was a big thing that he could possibly get this job. He already had a decent number of credits from before he had gone to prison, and strangely, a lot of them had transferred in to the University of Chicago. Probably something the Old Man had done for him, yet another thing. Joshua looked over and Maggie and Patricia, his two little nieces. They were having the time of their lives, running around trying to hit everyone with their super soakers. He closed the grill, handing the control over to one of the others who had come for the party.

Walking into the house, he went to grab another beer. He had gotten a few special ones that he wasn’t planning on sharing with anyone else, so he’d left them in Temp’s fridge. With the door to the refrigerator open, he started looking around for where she’d put them. Grabbing hold of one of the longnecks, he started hunting for the bottle opener when the doorbell rang. He found the bottle opener and popped the top, before walking towards the front door.

Joshua was still learning what it was that had happened to him since the arson at the Van Buren building. He wasn’t sure of everything he could do, but he had been practicing in that old abandoned warehouse he was on the fence about buying. Suffice to say, he was not a normal person anymore. One of the perks was that he could tell when and where people were coming from at almost all times. It definitely helped him weave through the pedestrian traffic when he was walking in downtown Chicago, and it was paying dividends maneuvering through all the kids today. However what was weird was that there was this overriding sense of urgency whenever something or someone was coming close enough to him to cause harm.

This would have been useful and funny except that he still acted on his reflexes sometimes. There was a car that had gotten to close to the curb where had been standing waiting for the signal to change. This had set off this warning danger sense and his reflexes had caused him to backflip over twenty feet in the air. It was a weird sight for everyone else. Thankfully, he hadn’t gotten high enough or far enough to touch a building. Joshua had these little hitches or hooks on his hands now, helping him grip things. He still wasn’t sure what was going on, but he wasn’t sure who to talk to about the problem.

He opened the door to see who it was and there was a mild look of shock that rolled over his face.

“You…You came.” He said.

“Not sure why myself.” Angela Mancini replied coolly, from behind her aviator sunglasses. Her hair was down and framed her face.

She was dressed for the weather in Chicago, which was getting considerably warmer as they entered the summer months. She wore khaki colored jeans, and a white, loose, silky looking blouse. She had a matching khaki light jacket on as well. Not exactly cookout clothing, but then again, he was finding himself hard pressed to remember the normal lawyer looking attire she was always wearing.

“I’m here though. I appreciate the invitation.” She said.

He still stood there, staring.

She sighed, taking off the aviators. “When you sent me this invitation, was it just to get me here so you could close a door in my face.”

“No.” He said, slowly, drawing out every single bit of the syllable as he could.

“Well then, car thief, are you going to let me in?”

“Sure thing, counselor.” He said, finding the old Joshua Perry charm once more.

He found it, just as his warning danger sense went off. There were two small children behind him packing serious firepower with them. Joshua could hear the giggles, he could hear the charging of the Super AquaBlaster 8000s. He could hear the two massive sprays of water coming straight for his back.

His reflexes kicked in, and he….stepped out of the way.

One of the things he remembered was how much of a fuss Temperance had made at the cost of the super soakers. But now, as he saw the look of shock and horror on the face of Angela Mancini, former State’s Attorney for Cook County, Illinois, now junior partner at Mayer, Ingram, and Rogers, one of the largest and most powerful law firms in the country, and most importantly, the woman who had singlehandedly won the case against him, the largest auto theft case in Cook County history, putting him away for five years of his life….

The Super AquaBlaster 8000s had been worth every single penny.

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:29 pm

Angela froze in horror as she was drenched in water from the super soakers. She reached a shaky hand up and removed the sunglasses, her eyes staring down at her chest which was now soaked with water. Her free hand, also shaky, went up, moving through her hair, which was now partially wet. Her mouth was open from the shock. Finally, her eyes moved up to Joshua, who was struggling not to laugh. He reached a hand back, shooing the two children away.

“I’m really sorry about that.” Joshua said. “I’m…really sorry.”

“You look sorry.” She said, cooly. “Well, I guess this solves the problem of whether you’re going to actually invite me in.”

“I mean, I did ask you to come to the party, so it would be weird not to invite you inside at all. Did you really think the invitation was a joke?” He asked and she shrugged. “Well, I guess that kind of makes sense.” He said. “Why don’t we get you inside and get you some dry clothes?” Joshua asked. He started walking and gestured she should follow.

“So this is where you grew up?” Angela asked and Joshua nodded. “When I got the invite, I remembered the address from the court case. I didn’t think you and your sister would have kept the place.”

Joshua nodded. “Family is important to us. I know we come from…from a fucked up family. But that family means a lot to Temp and I.” He said, moving through the hallways. He ended up in Patty’s bedroom. Opening one of the closets, he poked around until he found a box. “I left a few of my things here when I moved out.” He said.

He had a good feeling Temperance would lose her mind on him if she saw Angela wearing her clothes, he was pretty sure. He also knew nothing of women’s sizes and clothes. Opening the box, he rooted around in the box, until he found an old t-shirt of his. He tossed it to her.

“REO Speedwagon, really?” She asked.

“I didn’t mention them during my depositions?” Joshua asked with a smirk. “They’re from Chicago, well, Champaign. Great band.” He said, as she shucked her jacket. When she looked at him pointedly, he turned back around, as she slid out of her top and pulled on his jacket. He turned back around as she laid the top on the back of a chair. “So, let’s get to the party huh?”

“Sure thing.”

“Joshua, is that you? Where have you been? I need your help with the-“ Temperance said coming around the corner. She stopped in the doorway to the room, her eyes wide as she stared at Angela.

“You didn’t tell her I was coming, did you.” Angela said, more of a statement than a question.

“Nope.” Joshua said, shaking his head.

“What…the fuck is she doing in my house?” Temperance asked.

Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:41 pm

“So I can understand why this might be a little upsetting.” Joshua said.

“A little?” Temperance asked, her eyes going wide. She pointed at Angela. “This bitch tore my family apart, and you’ve invited her over for barbecue.” Temperance replied.

Joshua winced slightly. This was not how he had wanted this whole thing to go. Though, all scenarios considered, it could easily have gone worse and he wouldn’t have been surprised. He made a mental note to commend his sister on her response. Well, her response thus far. Things could always change with Temp. Her name wasn’t her name for nothing.

“That might be a little strong, considering she is standing right here.” Joshua replied.

Angela shrugged. “I’ve been called worse.”

“Well, that’s interesting and-“

“I bet you have.” Temperance said, the look on her face still one belonging to a woman who was still quite pissed. “I just bet you have.”

“I invited her because the past is the past.” Joshua said. “We’ve all made changes in our lives, we’ve all had to, for a number of reasons, caused by two of the people in the room and-“

“Well, more caused by you than by me.” Angela replied, and he turned and gave her a look. “Oh, right, that’s probably not helping.” She added, and he shook his head. “Look, I’m sorry about all of this. I didn’t know exactly what was going on when I got the invitation. I figured it was kind of weird, considering the past history I have with your family, and the whole investigation currently going on. It’s a bit out of character, and I’m honestly still not sure why I decided to come to this.”

“What investigation?” Temperance asked, now confused. “What are you talking about?” She asked, looking at Joshua. It was evident from the look on her face, a mixture of confusion and anger that she was looking for answers and she wanted them rather quickly.

Joshua closed his eyes. On the bright side, it looked like Temperance was going to transfer more of her anger towards him. “There’s an investigation going on into what happened at the Van Buren building.” He said. “As it so happens, Angela represents the insurance company and is working on the investigation.”

“I told you that you needed a lawyer.”

Angela shook her head as Temperance looked back at the lawyer. “Actually, while there is an investigation into Joshua’s whereabouts that night, we’re not really looking that heavily at him. There’s evidence, but nowhere near enough to say that he did anything. The police investigation has gotten pretty much nowhere. They’re ruling it more of an industrial accident than anything involving foul play.”

“See?” Joshua said with a smile. “Now we can all be happy.”

His sister turned her withering gaze back onto him. “If I didn’t have a bunch of screaming kids out there, this is a conversation we would be having now. But, you’re in luck. So we’ll have it later.” She said, and walked out of the room. “She doesn’t get any ice cream.” Temperance said, her voice getting faint.

“She doesn’t really mean that.”

“I’m so glad.”