Newcommers Resouce Center

Please check daily for announcements and bring in your ideas/reports/suggestions.

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Have a Fourm where newcommerscn get aquainted with us and not be thrown in not knowing what to do"

Yes, it could help out
92%
No, take up too much room
8%

Total votes: 25

PrincessTabetha/BlackHunt
Queen of the Damned

Newcommers Resouce Center

Post by PrincessTabetha/BlackHunt » Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:00 pm

Hey Neuge what do you Gam and Chis think about making a newcommer resource therad where they not only get the rules, and introducing them selves there. I have seen this on other boards and wanted to know what you think? :mad1:

:amidala:
Tabetha/Hunt
I got out of the bed today.
Swear to god couldn't see my face. I got out of the bed today starin at a a ghost.
Who forgot to float away didn't have all that much to say couldn't even tell his own name or where my body goes.
-Winter Sleep Weighty Ghost
It's an animal thing
Riddick

Queen of the Damned

Post by PrincessTabetha/BlackHunt » Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:10 pm

[color=]redSorry for the poor typing today, we're all sick here, agian and I was in the middle of a choking fit. So Ill ask again Do we have a moderated fourm like on some boards that help people totally new to our boards. Agian I apologize. [/color] :mad1: color=cyan] ie I love the emotion con, of course I can be a piromaniac at times![color]

Tabetha/Hunt
Swear to god couldn't see my face. I got out of the bed today starin at a a ghost.
Who forgot to float away didn't have all that much to say couldn't even tell his own name or where my body goes.
It's an animal thing
Riddick

Bizzy
I'd rather be hunting

Post by Bizzy » Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:48 pm

Hmm. An area to train people. It could work, provided the new people look there.
A deer's antlers are like a penis. Grows an inch every year.

Queen of the Damned

Post by PrincessTabetha/BlackHunt » Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:52 pm

[color=redWho ever moderated could do that with help from one or two others. I think it could help with problems.][/color]

Tabetha/Hunt
It's an animal thing
Riddick

Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox » Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:52 pm

*grins and bares teeth* New people...*growls* Feeding time is near...

Serious mode:

That is actually a VERY good idea. With the sticky thread of Xfiend's stuff up in the normal RP forum's it could become a more extensive guide in the newbie forum. Good thinking.

Halomek
Master of the Ninja Post

Post by Halomek » Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:44 pm

I gotta voice my agreement, but I also have to wonder if it'll ever get used.

Shaggy
The Rev.

Post by Shaggy » Tue Feb 18, 2003 8:41 am

AGREED! And I voted for it also. I think Xfiend's "Ultimate Guide" Should be a sticky. Heck, we tried to get the mods to do it on the other board but they just ignored us until we got like 200 posts on the thread.
“This is one of the miracles of love: It gives a power of seeing through its own enchantments and yet not being disenchanted.”
-C.S. Lewis
"But generally, Shaggy is right." - Jagtai
Daer'Gunn Wiki

Bizzy
I'd rather be hunting

Post by Bizzy » Tue Feb 18, 2003 8:47 am

Shaggy, if you check the rp boards, you can see that it has been made a sticky. Looks like everything is gonna be covered.

Also, if they didn't want to make yet another forum, they could combine the timeline and non-timeline forums and make the other one for training.

Shaggy
The Rev.

Post by Shaggy » Tue Feb 18, 2003 9:24 am

:P Thanx Bizzy but I did check the boards and I am very thankfull that Neuge did that. But what I was agreeing to was that we make it into a seperate thing maybe even something that sits outside somewhere that can be read. I don't know I'm just shooting from the hip. Anyway I'm going to stop now.
“This is one of the miracles of love: It gives a power of seeing through its own enchantments and yet not being disenchanted.”
-C.S. Lewis
"But generally, Shaggy is right." - Jagtai
Daer'Gunn Wiki

Queen of the Damned

Post by PrincessTabetha/BlackHunt » Tue Feb 18, 2003 9:30 am

Go on Shaggy me and most everyone else loves to hear options(and occiaonally spout our own). To respeond to the question about will it be used, well when I joined a LotR rping site last year, they had one and it was very much used.

Most truely new to role playing love having this feature it is helpful in getting them used to how things work and the people. Let's all remember out first time Rping, it was a bit of a shock to many. And most get horribly flamed and such becasue they really dont know what they are doing. Hoperully this would help curve it some. :mad1:

Tabetha/Hunt
It's an animal thing
Riddick

Bizzy
I'd rather be hunting

Post by Bizzy » Tue Feb 18, 2003 9:35 am

Shooting from the hip, as you put it (which the analogy works, btw), can be good sometimes. Keep throwing ideas out there. You'll never know if there good or not until you do. Besides, I've seen the help topics at the other site, and they always seem to have a number of people reading them.

starwars1235

Post by starwars1235 » Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:31 pm

Making Xfiend's threads a sticky at the top, was my ideas guys :P.. As for a forum just for newbs.. I am not sureabout that. we could have one.. But will it be used? I don't think many people woud use a "newb" forum cause its like saying you know nothing aobut he community. But perhaps we could have one.

Also another tihng I am gonna bring up with Neuge, is putting the IC boards back together.. I think its better to keep them together. NOt to separate them. And then maybe have a way to differentiate them, with a sign or something.

xfiend1013
Gonzo Bodhisattva

Post by xfiend1013 » Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:48 pm

Well I'm glad you guys liked the guide enough to stick it up there and make it sticky so it doesn't bounce like most of my checks tend to do.

Anyway. I say "Yes" for a newbie area. If not a newbie area, then perhaps, a few more resources - just my guide isn't going to cut it.

Should there be a newbie area implemented, I'll gladly go and help out the youngin's - though I don't think that we'll be getting a lot OF newbs - most of the new posters were drawn in through the site itself. Certainly, we'll get newcomers, but I doubt the problems will be as re-goddamn-diculous as they used to be.

Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox » Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:05 am

I actually think we need to seperate forums for roleplaying. One for the timeline stuff and another for those pesky cross-overs and what not. Given that this isn't the thread to go on, but can we PLEASE limit how long someone can post in a color? My lord. I have nothing against Tab posting in red, but after reading about two paragraphs my eyes start to hurt.

Queen of the Damned

Post by PrincessTabetha/BlackHunt » Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:08 am

Sorry vox, I'm in rl nearly blind and its easier to read. As I type this I cant tell what it says on the screen. But when it goes up I can acutally read it!
Tabetha/Hunt
It's an animal thing
Riddick

Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox » Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:59 am

It's alright tab, I was just making an observation.

Jolts

Post by Jolts » Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:00 am

I think it's best if there's just one roleplaying forum, maybe two, and then as someone else mentioned, one for the board's timeline and one outside the board's timeline.

Making a newbie forum isn't gonna work, to be honest; i think it's going to get people agitated and annoyed, because then you will get like two groups, one group that are the "vet's" and a group that are the "newbie's" and then you get all this talk like ' ooh i'm a newbie, i have to wait till a vet tells me i can post in the vet's board' and such things usually end up in the pooper, because of the lack of interest.

So my suggestion is: Make one forum for all the roleplays and have like three or four moderators watching over it, so they can keep it nice and clean.

Then make another one called something like 'frozen/dead topics' and that's where all the topics that havent been active can go if they get moved from the main roleplay forum. and eventually someone who is in that topic can ask one of the mods to have it placed back so they can continue the thread.

And then there's something of a Writer's Recourse corner/forum that's where people can ask questions or catch up about the rules.

This is the way in wich i think you get to have one community instead of a community divided in two.

+ make a forum for the dutch users here and make me mod of that, i'de like to know the feeling of being in charge for once ;)
Well I'd just thought what it would be like to bounce of the pavement. Pretty much as I expected. --> Spike - Angel

Space Patrol for life

Halomek
Master of the Ninja Post

Post by Halomek » Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:52 am

Ah, Jolts, you bring up a good point. The last thing we need is another vet/newb thing going on here. It caused enough problems on the old board.

Halomek
Master of the Ninja Post

Post by Halomek » Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:54 am

Although I should add that I like how it is currently setup with a main board timeline and another for other stories.

Jolts

Post by Jolts » Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:42 am

I agree with you on that, the boards setup is good as it is now. I think it's the way to keep the community a whole.

And if there could be a Writer's Resource Forum, then you should have a couple of essays in it. Xfiend's roleplay guide should be in it. And perhaps other essays could be made as well.
Well I'd just thought what it would be like to bounce of the pavement. Pretty much as I expected. --> Spike - Angel

Space Patrol for life

xfiend1013
Gonzo Bodhisattva

Post by xfiend1013 » Thu Feb 20, 2003 7:24 pm

Actually, that's not at all what I was thinking when I thought of this. There shouldn't be a "noobs only" thread that you have to graduate from to play with the big boys.

But there should be a resource center, some place for people - new and old - to come and hone their roleplaying/writing. For example, if a guy came in posting crap "My w00kie 0wnzoRS!" etc, then a friendly mod could delete his post and say "Please visit the Resource Center" (I loathe the idea of calling it a "newbie resource center").

There he could browse the collected advice and stuff, participate in advice-style threads, etc. Not because he has to, but because he wants to. And if you don't want to improve from nothing, then you're likely to get banneded.

I think that keeping the advice and stuff seperate from the rest of the roleplaying keeps things neat and doable.
Like what I write? I can fix that. Visit my website.

FOLLOW ME! (On twitter)

Laserswordman

Post by Laserswordman » Sat Feb 22, 2003 11:12 am

Couldn't we just have it called a "newcomers" forum, not a newb forum? IMHO, it is less insulting, but more welcomeing.
Lord of the Rings, Lord of the Dance, Lord of the Saber.

xfiend1013
Gonzo Bodhisattva

Post by xfiend1013 » Sun Feb 23, 2003 8:02 pm

I like the "Resource Center" name. It's not just for noobs, you know. Everyone needs some resources at some point.

Also, it fits in with that whole "Science fiction" thing we're shooting for - though it does sound alot like something out of Command and Conquer.
Like what I write? I can fix that. Visit my website.

FOLLOW ME! (On twitter)

TrevetOlivaw

Post by TrevetOlivaw » Sun Feb 23, 2003 8:09 pm

Sounds like a great idea to me, good thinking, Tab!

UnknownSector
Rational Delirium

Post by UnknownSector » Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:44 pm

Nice brainwave there. Hey, I could mod it! "For newcomers, by newcomers," an' all that rot, wot? :mrgreen:

Jolts

Post by Jolts » Tue Feb 25, 2003 11:03 am

A resource center should be for everyone. I also think it should be for asking questions and such, asking advice about certain facts about SW. It most definatly should not become a discussion forum.

I think the guides to better roleplaying should be sticky, say about five topics, don't know exactly what the subjects of the topics should be, but the ultimate guide to roleplaying should be one of them.

And for the rest people should be able to ask questions like; technical stats on ships, weapons and droids, or about the timeline.

I think a resource center works best that way, cause you know, not even the wisest of men know everything.

Space Patrol for life