New Administrator?

Please check daily for announcements and bring in your ideas/reports/suggestions.

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Vox
Adenn Mirshko

New Administrator?

Post by Vox »

That's right, another thread to debate! Alright let's get started:

We(at least me) have noticed a severe lack of activity in the area of admins and moderators, save one moderator. And as everyone knows that moderator is being investigated.

Thus the subject has come up to put in another administrator. Dave has volunteered, Alex says he knows someone, but personally I see only one person who has a right to have the job:

Jade

That's it, period. She owns the domain that supports this forum. The only and only true reason needed. She's level headed and also active. She can learn phpbb and she has even stated to me she's willing to do so. I see no reason why the person that technically owns this board should not be an admin.
I <3 MCATs

Post by Alex Kerensky »

I had not considered Jade. In fact, I completely forgot that someone had to pay to host these forums. My apologies.

I also nominate Jade, if she is willing. I also see no reason why she should not be an administrator.
Master of the Ninja Post

Post by Halomek »

I have also noticed a severe lack of admins.

If we were to elect a new admin, Coron would be a good choice, seeing as he has a proven history with phpbb (the backup Exodus boards and the RSA boards). He would probably be my number one choice.

However, it does feel right to make Jade an admin considering the points that Vox brought up. I wouldn’t be opposed to it if she were to be elected.
When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons and make super lemons!
Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox »

Hal, to argue your point on Dave. Yes I will admit he has the qualifications, but due to his moderation abilities being under question by several members of the board I would not even think twice about not allowing him the position.

*shrugs*

It is a matter of who we can and can't trust, right now I can't trust Dave to even moderate, let alone have access to my account.
Master of the Ninja Post

Post by Halomek »

Well, they are fundamentally different jobs.

Moderators, err... moderate the boards, for lack of a better term.

Administrators maintain the boards, but don't interfere with board business unless it has something to do with changing the code (i.e. adding titles, other features, etc, etc).

Crossing that line was what got Gam in trouble awhile back.

I think we could trust Coron to know what duties belong to whom. From what I've gathered, Vox, you think Coron has been a bit overzealous in his moderating duties. I just don't see that happening if he were an administrator.
Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox »

It is not just mean Hal, and 'overzealous' is not the same as crossing the line. My point was, if we cannot trust Coron to do a job that does not give him access to much more portions of the board why should we put him in a position that will give him access to all sorts of things that need only to be accessed by people we trust?

You may trust him, but I and several other members of the community do not.
Master of the Ninja Post

Post by Halomek »

I'll agree to disagree and let this matter sort itself out over time.
When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons and make super lemons!

Post by LadyKieraFalcon »

Well Vox, you may not trust Coron, but many others do, namely myself. My question is, Neuge will be back this week, if I understood him correctly. Should we not wait and discuss this with him?
"Reality is for those who can't handle Fantasy."
Just a Rogue...

Post by Master_Cameo_Naton »

I agree that we do need more admin. We've got things that come up, and no one seems available to perform the necessary duties in a timely fashion. I agree that Jade seems a good choice, but the person should probably be supported by the community at large as well. As Jade has the domain name, she'd be the best choice in my opinion. *gives Jade his endorsement ala Al Gore* ;)
Exile from the Exodus... Space Patrol... forever.
Pryngles

Post by Pryde »

If we come to a consensus about adding a new admin then Jade has my nomination as well. ;)
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

Vox, mention these "several people." Near as I can tell, you are the only person opposed to Coron's current position.

I don't see where your lack of trust in his abilities lies, but I know he can do a good job. However, I also know that Jade, as has been said, has every right and more to be an admin over anyone on this board.

But, this is all I will say. Why? Because I'm getting sick and tired of all this bickering. That's why.
You have a right to remain silent... I hope to God you use it.
Xanamiar wrote:Cadden is a comical genius.
Lord Defender

Post by coronhorn »

I feel compelled to mention something... Jade has gratiously paid for the the domain registaration that we are currently using, not the hosting. That particular expense is still squarely with Neugue and Goober.

Be that as it may, I've offered my services as an admin both here and to Goob directly. Some might feel I'm unfit for the job but I'll lay odds that I'm the most technically qualified person for the job on the boards currently aside from Neuge and Goober.

All that being said offereing my services is all I can do at this point and all I will do.

though Vox your statement that you personally don't trust me is disturbing to me as you're said you don't have anything against me personally. Anyway... ce la vi
-David W aka Coronhorn... A ghost of Exodus past...
The Lost Holocron

Post by CorwynSylver »

Jad has the most right to the position, I agree, but the question comes in of her availability. ability and desire. I don't know what Tammy's computer skills are... I know that Jay's are decent enough, but we're not asking him to be an admin... are we? If she thinks she can take the job on, while maintiaining a life with her loved ones, workd, and posting on her many threads, then all power to her for it, and she has my vote.

If, however, she chooses to decline this position, due to lack of desire or know-how, then I agree that Dave makes an excellent choice as an admin. As an admin, he could not be a mod (which should make Vox happy, indeed, it would make me happy). As an admin, he would have right only to maintain the technical aspects of the boards, and he would stay out of community politics except as far as he is a member of the boards (with no greater voice just because he is an admin)
Put THAT in your pipe and smoke it!
High priest of *shrugs*

Post by EmperorCroft »

I think the point concerning Coron is that there is more than his moderating abilities to be brought into consideration here. As with the positions of the moderator, I believe there were some stipulations for a moderator that were tentatively (or are still being,) agreed on.

I think it was hal who said that gam's abusing his position lead to his slapping of his wrists. My question is. What guidlines are we setting for moderators and administrators? Should anyone one person in either roll be found to be neglegant or abusive of their duties allowed to take up another form of responsibility?

As for Corwyns questions. Yes tammy has a life, one that has been more so hectic in the past. That has had alot to do with her ilness and because of the fact that she was a single mother of three. That has changed somewhat. The point about Coron being qualified..... anyone can become qualified in phpbb, thats basically what happened when we moved from sony. I know audrey built her experience in phpbb from scratch because she and I shared instructional web sites when people were volunteering to help save our boards back when sony announced closure to non customers. As for chris's point that we are talking about Jade....

Yes we are, why because its her credit details shes worried about, as of the 17th.... I inherit her debt, she inherits mine and her credit details will be my details. Likewise she and I share this computer, share msn (as vox can atest to) from time to time. Im not trying to sabotage vox's efforts, but there in itself is another question.

How would the board feel giving admin access to a computer shared by two of the community members? What kind of problems could arise from that?
I can feel you in the dark, so full of fear, so close to tears. Don't worry it will be over soon, for I am comming for you...

Post by CorwynSylver »

Actually, Jay, that was also on my mind, but I decided that it would be... distateful for anyone else but you are Jade to bring it up. I'm glad you did, though, and applaud you for it.
Put THAT in your pipe and smoke it!
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

Simple enough. An admin requires an admin password. (At least, on my two phpBB communities, it does. I'm sure I could easily find out here. ;)) To keep two individuals from sharing admin access, one of which who was not nominated and voted in, persay, as an admin, just means keeping a password confidential.
Lord Defender

Post by coronhorn »

Jason it's true that almost anyone can figure out how to admin a phpBB, but it takes time. Plus my skill set isn't limited to just the phpBB, it goes off into web development as well, plus I've got boat loads of freetime and access to the net (fringe benefits of being a fulltime student and the tech manager for a technology consulting firm that your father runs).

As for the worries about me, I'm still mystified as to why I'm being crucified (for a lack of a better term) over one mistake and that is what it is, one mistep in judgement in the better part of two years. You mentioned Gam, what he did was similar if not worse than what I did and yet there wasn't all this drama over him remaining an Admin. I highly respect this community and all of it's members (even if it's not returned by some) and would and have actted in what I preiceved as it's best intrests. Sure I don't agree with everyone here but then who does, but I respect everyone and thier rights to thier own opinions and have never deleted a post that I wasn't asked to.

Anyway, like I've said before the offer stands whether the community wishes to take me up on it is up to it...
The Lost Holocron
The Sojourner

Post by Nivest »

I think that it would be great, personally, for both Dave and Tammy to become Admins. Heck, maybe Dave could even help train her. That is if Tammy wants to be one, from what you said Jason it sounds like she's pretty busy.
High priest of *shrugs*

Post by EmperorCroft »

From what I have heard and read. Your attitude over the period of the past year is also being refered to (enter actual length of the boards life.) Whilst Gamaliel was exceeding his mandate, rarely if ever have I seen his position slight his ego. Where as and I think it was Corwyn/Chris who stated somewhere that you had at times a holier than thou attitude.

Now, I don't know how far to the truth that is, or how much of it is due to you and mike arguing on the boards. What I do know is this. I have seen you act holier than thou, I have seen you fail to respect others opinions when they conflict with yours. I have seen you openly admit a bias to the MBT forum. These I am assuming along with the recent mess on another thread are what you are being called into contention over as a moderator.

Now what I also know is that you have never been happy with this forum. You created a forum for us back when we were forced to leave sony, yet we chose to go with this forum. When the boards had its catastrophy and you opened up your forum to us as an emergency. You urged us to take on your server as our forum and again during the boards last hic up.

You seem to want this administrator position so badly, I can not help but wonder why considering the timing of your offer and the paragraphs above. If it came down to a vote between you and tammy. I can honestly say I would vote for tammy not because she will be my wife... but because I don't think you are capable of administrating.

You can train a cleptomainiac to be a security gaurd, but fool is the manager who lets that person roam free in his store.

Nothing personal against you as a person dave, as we both share a love for jazz and mardi gras.
I can feel you in the dark, so full of fear, so close to tears. Don't worry it will be over soon, for I am comming for you...
Lord Defender

Post by coronhorn »

Jason, people have been telling me I have a holier than thou attitude since way back before these boards were an inkling in anyone's eye. That's not a product of some sort of power trip. Don't beleive me feel free to ask Nich or Mark (heck even Vox will agree with this one) or anyone else that's ever been at odds with me. I tend to beleive I'm right and when I do I tend to stick to my guns and it usually comes off as "holier than thou". Though I will back down if I'm wrong.

As for this forum, I've always been happy with it and I've always tried to help make it better. I didn't open up those backup boards as some sort of ego booster or out of lust for an admin position. I opened them up for the sake of the community and I made an effort to get the owrd out that they exsisted so that people wouldn't drift away and destory the community. I suggested changing hosts because at the time this one wasn't the most reliable (a fact that has changed now) and I offered what resources I had availible to the community out of love for it as hard as that might be to understand not out of some selfish desire for self agrandisement.

Lastly, I don't want the admin position badly or even my current mod position (considering all the grief it's brought me lately), I'm simply offering my serivces to the community because I think it could benefit from it. I'd personally be just as happy to only have to worry about posting on my own threads as to have any additional duties.

the simple fact is I serve at the community's disgression, whether I continue as a moderator or as an admin or just go back to being one of the masses is completly up to them. I will say for the most part it's been a pleasure to do so and I'll be more than happy to continue to do if they see fit to keep me around, if not it's been fun.

Oh... one other thing... I dunno if you guys plan to come down for Mardi Gras but if you do let me know, I've got a few connections down there and can probably arrange a pretty nice time for all.
The Lost Holocron
The Emperor's Hand
Location: Second Star to the right, and straight on till morning....

Post by Jade Croft »

Hello all. Been reading this thread and I appreciate all of the voices of concern.
I feel compelled to mention something... Jade has gratiously paid for the the domain registaration that we are currently using, not the hosting. That particular expense is still squarely with Neugue and Goober
I paid for the domain to keep our boards alive. It was something I did willingly, and I have even offered to help Neuge and Goober with the monthly expenses of running the boards. I have not now or ever felt it should be up to one or two people to support the boards. If at anytime Neuge or Goober come forth and say the expenses are too much for just them to handle I will help in that matter as well. I have made a commitment to the boards and to keeping them around. Likewise I have committed to continue paying the yearly fee for the domain, regardless of if it cost 10 or 40 or whatever. I made a commitment and I have done so willingly.
but the question comes in of her availability. ability and desire. I don't know what Tammy's computer skills are
I would not claim to know that much about Phpbb, but I have every confidence I can learn fast enough. I have the desire and the intelligence, and I have computer knowledge. I managed to raise a sick child, work full time, and still pull a 4.0 GPA in college, and trust me Business law is a challenge when you do have the time. I might not be as techinically qualified as some, but we are talking about learning how to work a phpbb board, not rocket science. As for being available, I am on everyday, I don't think my availability is a problem.

When I first talked to Vox last night, we were discussing the boards and it was mentioned that perhaps, since I did purchase the domain, that I would like to have a more active part in it's running, and I would have to say I thought it a good idea. I have always loved new challenges and feel very strongly that I can learn and become just as capable as anyone else at Administration on the boards.

The final point I would like to make is this. Vox's suggestion is a good one, I would like to become more involved in the runnings of the boards. I would like to take more of an active part then just buying a domain name...I know I can do the job, but I leave it up to the community, for we, as a community make decision......But if I did not get the position, trust me, my commitment to the boards will remain the same.
" They say that the best weapon is the one you never have to fire. I respectfully disagree. I prefer the weapon you only have to fire once.." --Tony Stark
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

One thing I find mind-boggling... what's with this paying for the boards. I thought phpBB was free.... :raisedbrow:

*Looks at coron hopefully*
Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox »

The boards are free Cadden, our domain is not. So we had to pay to get the "www.starwars-exodus.com" domain, Jade paid for that.

And Cadden to answer your question on why Dave is being 'crucified' as he put it, read the thread labeled "Post your moderator nominations here". Third page you'll see a post of mine where I list two of the offenses he's dealing with. The rest have yet to be posted because I have not had the time to dig up the urls for the threads and Chris(Corwyn) does not wish to mention the offenses he knows of/thinks are offenses.
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

jadedofmara wrote:... and I have even offered to help Neuge and Goober with the monthly expenses of running the boards.
Unless I'm just totally clueless on the subject (which very well could be the case ;)), that tells me they're paying for the boards....

Now, to elaborate on my parenthesis comment... if the boards are free and the domain is the only thing being paid for... then how can both Neuge and Goober be paying for something Jade is already paying for?

See, I know nothing about board hosting. I just know enough about administrator to run a board. :P
The Emperor's Hand
Location: Second Star to the right, and straight on till morning....

Post by Jade Croft »

To be honest Cadden, I believe the boards are free. I know Neuge and Goober have the server, what I was referring was to the lack of knowledge if they pay any monthly fees for the bandwidth we use, or any extra for 24/7 connection to the network.
" They say that the best weapon is the one you never have to fire. I respectfully disagree. I prefer the weapon you only have to fire once.." --Tony Stark
Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox »

The server were running on does cost money to maintain, or at least pay for the thing to be connected to the internet. That is what she meant. If the boards themselves cost money, I doubt it is that much if anything because it was not mentioned to us. The phpbb site mentions nothing of the sort, so...*shrugs*
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

*Nods*

Okay, that clears that up. (No, really, it does.) I was beginning to wonder if there was some kind of hidden phpBB that could actually be better than their current, free release. :?
Puck

Post by nehima »

Cadden wrote:Unless I'm just totally clueless on the subject (which very well could be the case ;)), that tells me they're paying for the boards....
To be even MORE specific, phpBB costs nothing. Or none of the versions of it I've found cost anything. But paying for the space and bandwidth every month can be a problem, not to mention a domain name registration. On site like this, that needs lots of server space, the cost can be several hundred dollars a year. Domains are lovely to have and all, but they are- sadly- definitely not free.
Lord Defender

Post by coronhorn »

phpBB is distrubuted free of charge and is distrbuted under the GNU liscence I believe. All the nitty gritty details can be found at http://www.phpbb.com along with the newest versions of the boards free for downloading.

As for servers, from what I understand from talking to Goober, our fourms are basically piggy backing on one of his company's commercial servers. He's hosting us out of the goodness of his heart and because we're a fun community to host (his words).

I seriously doubt we'd ever take up enough of his system resources to put a pinch on him so doubt he'd need to ask fo help with the related expenses (bandwidth, diskspace, etc...). In the time I was hosting the community on the back site I think the greatest actitiy we racked up was like .75 gb of bandwidth and like 3 meg of diskspace (DB storage).

I've actually inquired with him about moving the RSA site over here, he said he'd think about it. (we use less than a gig of bandwidth each month and less than 50 total meg so far) Ofcourse that's inlieu of me putting together my own webserver that would run on my cable line at my office, but I'm having difficulty getting that to work.

Anwyay that's enough rambling for me...
The Lost Holocron
Lord Defender

Post by coronhorn »

One last bit... Domains aren't free but if you look around you can get one for about 10 bucks a year, so they aren't generally speaking expensive either. the expensive part is the server hosting... though you can usualy get a nice one for about 15 bucks a month (that's what I'm paying for the RSA site right now) that includes all the frills.
The Lost Holocron
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

Well, coron, remember that, if the Campaign Alliance becomes as known as I'm hoping it will in the future, that will serve as, at the very least, a small problem to consider. All depending on if people like what we produce. If not, well, can't say we didn't try. :rolleyes:

And yes, I was always under the impression that phpBB was free. I was just starting to get suspicious about some "hidden version," like with... I think they're called phpportal or somesuch thing.
Lord Defender

Post by coronhorn »

Well if you get that popular you can always get your downloads hosted on fileplanet or some other mirroring site. Easy fix...

As for some other version, nope, though the dev team is working on a new version that's going to signifcantly improve the current by adding portal options and the like. I'm very much looking forward to it.
The Lost Holocron
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

Nonono, I mean, separate from the phpBB team.

Portals? Sweet! I looked at that pay-for-the-code version (it was vbportals, or something, now that I think of it), and was like, "That's what I want!" If the phpBB folks are doing that, I'm gonna be sooooooo happy! :mrgreen:
Site Administrator

Post by goober »

Just so you guys know, I try to get on here every day, although I may not check deep in to the forums. If you guys ever have anything that needs attention right away, feel free to e-mail me, or contact me on msn/aim/any of those. I'll be more than happy to give you a hand.

Post by Gamaliel »

Now that I finished my research paper for my school, (and the play i'm in will be over soon) I'll have time to come on at least 5 times a week, at very minimum. But I just have been saturated lately. Sorry 'bout that.