Update and decision regarding the board.

Please check daily for announcements and bring in your ideas/reports/suggestions.

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Should we ban pictures from post in the future?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:52 am

Yes
70%
No
30%

Total votes: 10

Jagtai
The Adminerator

Update and decision regarding the board.

Post by Jagtai »

The Update:

I've checked the log, and goober has in fact updated the phpBB software AND the database software to the latest version on the 23rd of June.

The Decision:

How about we ban pictures all together (apart from profile pics)? That should take care of the problem you've been having.

The vote at the top is not meant to be binding, but more of a "whatcha think" kinda deal.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." - Bilbo Baggins
From madness comes wisdom, and from wisdom comes power.
"I'm convinced you're secretly a British Spy" - Mir

My characters
Ghost
This Space Available

Re: Update and decision regarding the board.

Post by Ghost »

This wouldn't include signatures?

Can we clarify that?
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

I would say that it would. After all, signatures are more often going to be seen/posted than a random picture either via meme or in the beginning of a thread, for effect.
Everyone knows "Pops and Junior = #Ratings"
Everyone knows "Cazzik and Mir = #Wynning"
#Valkob4Life
Ghost
This Space Available

Post by Ghost »

I would think with a software upgrade and such that it wouldn't hinder these things anymore.
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

There's nothing wrong with erring on the side of caution.
#Valkob4Life
Ghost
This Space Available

Post by Ghost »

This is true.
Cadden
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

Plus, as he said, they did upgrade the software, and, well, we see how well that did. :oldrazz:

I'd much rather err on the side of caution, as well. Plus, I've never much cared for picture sigs, so....
You have a right to remain silent... I hope to God you use it.
Xanamiar wrote:Cadden is a comical genius.
Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox »

As the main culprit here...I say yes, ban them.
coronhorn
Lord Defender

Post by coronhorn »

I've seen many many phpBB forums that had far larger and far more active memberships than ours does that have signature images and they've never had the kinds of issues I've seen here over the last few months so the boards software isn't at fault if images are causing problems. I think image sigs should be allowed but with size restrictions in place and requirements they be hosted on another site...
-David W aka Coronhorn... A ghost of Exodus past...
The Lost Holocron
Cadden
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

... All those images we posted that caused the issues were hosted on other sites.... :raisedbrow:
Nichalus

Post by Nichalus »

Cadden wrote:... All those images we posted that caused the issues were hosted on other sites.... :raisedbrow:
And yet, since we haven't been using images, we haven't had the issue.

We haven't had the need for image sigs for 10 plus years, I see no reason to start now. Just my two credits about that.
:obiwan: The 'Old Man' of the Exodus

EFFL Champion (2013-2016) First Two-Time Exodus Champion
Cadden
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

You misunderstood, methinks. I'm not advocating for it, I'm pointing out the origins of the images seems to not matter.
Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox »

Other phpbb boards might also be running different software or MIGHT not handle other loads like ours does
Neuge
Part-Timer

Post by Neuge »

Hey guys, I've... been away for a while.

Can someone give me a quick synopsis of what's been going on? Reading through the threads on this has only told me that there were problems with linking images, the theme, and something about outdated software, but I'm not sure how they all fit together.
It was, after all, hard to take a bright red Star Destroyer very seriously.
Nichalus

Post by Nichalus »

Basically Neuge, we had a period where only about half of page would load, and the first incident of this was just after several members were having a Image Meme war on a Gen thread. So, we got rid of the images, and everything seemed fine. There were a couple of brief episodes of the half loading pages, but as of lately, the site has been running normally.

Also, we lost our Exodus page colors, and the Exodus logo with the star pattern.

I'm sure there were some other issues, which others will no doubt inform you about, but the half-loading pages was the one of most concern since several members couldn't post anything on the threads.
:obiwan: The 'Old Man' of the Exodus

EFFL Champion (2013-2016) First Two-Time Exodus Champion
Mir
KING OF STRONG STYLE

Post by Mir »

Nich hit on the main points. Everything else is window dressing upgrades if we can't get the main issues resolved. We're not sure what is causing the main issues but once resolved, we should be good to go.
#Valkob4Life
Ghost
This Space Available

Post by Ghost »

Might be browser cache issues after the upgrade. Images being linked from elsewhere caused slow to no loading. Adding on themes and other modules into the AdminCP. I think that is about it. No real issues with data loss, logging in, etc.
Vox
Adenn Mirshko

Post by Vox »

The theme isn't that huge an issue it just allowed for a bit more of a formatting/text color option for stories that need divided.

As for images it doesn't matter what browser (safari, Firefox, chrome, etc) or platform (pc, Mac, iPad, phone) the non loading happens after the image issues.
Neuge
Part-Timer

Post by Neuge »

Ah ok, that's super weird. I'm not sure if someone recently did an upgrade (is that why the theme is gone?), because according to the ACP we're running the latest phpBB version.

I'll see if I can find out where the theme went. Unfortunately, it's no longer showing up as an option to enable in the ACP.
It was, after all, hard to take a bright red Star Destroyer very seriously.
Cadden
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden »

Clearing browser history, cache, cookies, doesn't work. I tried.

I believe the theme thing is a compatibility issue, which would explain why it's not showing up in the ACP. I bet the new version doesn't support it. But it should be fairly easy to replace.
Archangel
Centurio

Post by Archangel »

Cadden wrote:I believe the theme thing is a compatibility issue, which would explain why it's not showing up in the ACP. I bet the new version doesn't support it. But it should be fairly easy to replace.
This. It actually happened quite a while ago. It's not related to the "board issues" we've been having, which also were not consistent or universal. Some days, others would have the problem, and I wouldn't; other days, it would be reversed. As much as it correlates with the images, I'm having trouble imagining why that would cause the problem, since that data is being stored elsewhere. No one uploaded the images as attachments or anything like that, so it mostly added to the bandwidth of whatever sites were hosting the images. Besides that, the whole forum suffered in response, not just the threads with the images.

I guess my money would be on a plug-in/add-on, especially one that interacts with images that are posted with [IMG] tags. I know we used to have some plug-ins, and it's possible that some could not be updated properly with the software update.

After all, it's not truly images that have a problem. The forum software has probably a hundred or more images, and those all load fine, and I could probably put an army of smileys in this post and the forum wouldn't bat an eye. If it really is correlated with the posting of images, then I suspect it's something about the ways [IMG] tags are being used or implemented by the software (or, again, an add-on). But I haven't really played around with phpBB since the latest version started with a 2. (I also don't use PHP as much as I used to; all my coding for work is in VBA, which is a sucky coding language, but I didn't pick it.)
Jagtai
The Adminerator

Post by Jagtai »

Hey Neuge. Good to see you :)

The theme disappeared with a previous update - goober told me, that it was not compatible.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." - Bilbo Baggins
From madness comes wisdom, and from wisdom comes power.
"I'm convinced you're secretly a British Spy" - Mir

My characters