Possible Issue with an Image

Please check daily for announcements and bring in your ideas/reports/suggestions.

Moderators: VagueDurin, Nichalus

Red Dragon

Possible Issue with an Image

Post by Red Dragon » Fri May 04, 2012 7:59 am

http://foxgirljade.deviantart.com/gallery/#/dcrvvf

Read the artist's Comment under the image.

http://starwars-exodus.wikia.com/wiki/File:Mandator.png << Doesn't say that who ever uploaded this image got permission or not. Also the image doesn't look like a Mandator of any type... Although it is one of my favorite fan made vessels.
Last edited by Red Dragon on Fri May 04, 2012 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode."
--Serenity

Balsa
Balsa is not a lie!

Re: Possible Issue with an Image

Post by Balsa » Fri May 04, 2012 8:04 am

I can't access the Deviant Art site from work, so I'll take a look at it when I get home.

Do you mind copy/pasting the text here, the artist's comments please?

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon » Fri May 04, 2012 8:16 am

This is what she said.

EDIT 2011 - beware, some harsh language and something of a rant ahead >

It's come to my attention that a good many people have been saving the full-size version of this image and then posting it to other sites, forums and whatnot, and either claiming the ship and design as their own or creating entirely fanwankery stat writeups for it.

I've had this go so far as to have people rile up against me in support of someone claiming that _I_ was the one who stole the design from someone else at one point and had a campaign started to call me out on it, until some actual research was done and it was found that my design and this image predated the claim by three or four years at the time.

I'm aware that this design is reaching something of a popularity base now, and I'm glad for that. But this shit has got to stop; I've worked too hard and too long on my projects just to have some little shit pop out of the woodworks every other week and try to yank it out from under me.
So, because of this, I was tempted to take this image down, but then after taking the previously mentioned incident and how only the timestamp on this submission to dA seemed to prove that it was indeed my own design, I've decided to keep it posted here.

What I've instead decided to do instead is simply lock the image from being downloaded and have the submission shrunk into its smallest available viewable form to prevent the full-sized image from being distributed anymore. I'm sorry it's had to come to this, but I'm simply just fucking tired of having my hard work ripped off from under me.

Thanks to everyone else though who's supported me through the years with this design, where it's been taken and what it's evolved into since this one post all the way back in 2005--it feels like it was a lifetime ago, and in many ways for me it may as well have been. Since then this design has spawned a massive and vibrant original series universe of my own creation completely separate to its vague Star Wars-esque beginnings, and try as I might to deny it, it likely wouldn't exist now in its current form if it weren't for this one model that I was told by some upstart site mod wasn't even good enough to be a game model.

Well now it's 2011, I've graduated college twice with a degree in modeling, animation and game design, and am working on some pretty fucking huge game projects right now, all the while cultivating this absolutely massive original universe of mine into something truely awesome. So thanks random site mod for shooting down that arrogant little highschooler all the way back in 2005, because it's now 2011 and this girl has never flown higher :)

-Jade
"This is the captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode."
--Serenity

VagueDurin
His Vagueness… Vaguer… or El Vaguerino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Post by VagueDurin » Fri May 04, 2012 8:27 am

Red Dragon wrote:This is what she said.

Bwhahaha. :|
"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." - C. S. Lewis

"And for one last instance, I'm Human again." - Sergeant Ghost

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon » Fri May 04, 2012 8:30 am

yeah well like i need to get yelled at, and possibly banned from here, for cursing when I'm simply bringing up a possible issue about our Wiki and its not even my own words.
--Serenity

VagueDurin
His Vagueness… Vaguer… or El Vaguerino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Post by VagueDurin » Fri May 04, 2012 8:34 am

haha, no worries mate, I just couldn't pass up a snicker. I mean, that *is* what she said ;)

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." - C. S. Lewis

"And for one last instance, I'm Human again." - Sergeant Ghost

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon » Fri May 04, 2012 8:36 am

:P

Not even sure if it is a girl, nor do i really care and nor am i tempted to look it up.
--Serenity

Balsa
Balsa is not a lie!

Post by Balsa » Fri May 04, 2012 8:55 am

I'll review it after work and then make a decision, but just by reading what you posted, my decision is to probably just delete the image.

Cadden
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden » Fri May 04, 2012 9:07 am

I'll shoot her a message and tell her what's up on our site. If she asks us to remove it, it will be removed. Until then, I'd suggest no further action be taken. It's her decision in the end, and the artist's right trumps over our desires to use their works.
You have a right to remain silent... I hope to God you use it.
Xanamiar wrote:Cadden is a comical genius.

Balsa
Balsa is not a lie!

Post by Balsa » Fri May 04, 2012 9:28 am

Cadden, mind letting me know what she desires? Just so I know whether or not to follow up with the issue. Thanks!

Cadden
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden » Thu May 10, 2012 3:54 pm

I have received a response. She has asked that we do not use that particular picture. I don't know who's running the show with KDY, but if whoever cares enough she did say she'd be willing to create a replacement for us specifically, as we are one of the few that have come to her about it. I will be removing the current picture presently.

Wikia admins, expect a discussion to be approaching on our forum within the next several days regarding images and whatnot. Non-Wikia admins, details of the discussion will be released afterwards, and whatever is deemed necessary will be done (whether it's considered a major enough an issue to simply auto-enforce, or if we'll bring it up for public discussion). Keep your eyes open.

Balsa
Balsa is not a lie!

Post by Balsa » Fri May 11, 2012 2:45 am

You're slow in posting the thread! :P

Cadden
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden » Fri May 11, 2012 8:21 pm

Bah. I'll get to it when I have the chance. Between full time work at the base, family duties (etc.), and video game time, I'm not really prioritizing this very high atm. :P

Balsa
Balsa is not a lie!

Post by Balsa » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:00 am

So.... where's that thread? :P

Cadden
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:40 pm

Cadden wrote:Bah. I'll get to it when I have the chance. Between full time work at the base, family duties (etc.), and video game time, I'm not really prioritizing this very high atm. :P
Hehehe... the wonders of quoting a general-use post. :mrgreen:

Balsa
Balsa is not a lie!

Post by Balsa » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:22 am

I bet you've got that copy/pasted for all occasions! :P

Maybe I'll just start the discussion???

Cadden
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:50 pm

Balsa wrote:I bet you've got that copy/pasted for all occasions! :P
Whaaaaaat? Noooo....

*Shifty eyes*

Hey, if you know what kind of discussion thread I'm referring to... feel free and start it. I really haven't held much of motivation to do stuff around here since I've been doing my AT Days at the base, so I'm not likely to start it 'til after the 22nd. :)

Balsa
Balsa is not a lie!

Post by Balsa » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:09 pm

Honestly, I was just going to post in the wiki forum something like "Hey, guys, let's talk about images... like Cadden had planned!" :P

Cadden
Mand'alor

Post by Cadden » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:36 pm

Yeah, thought so. :P